[XTalk] Re: Disinterested Science (was Anomianism)

  • Brian Waddington
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
      It seems to me that this string suffers from trying to prove too much. IMHO
      the following points are commonly held to be historically accurate and
      should be remembered in this thread.

      (1) Neither the vast majority of those who followed the Jewish faith nor
      those who called themselves Romans and/or enforced the Roman laws had ever
      heard of Jesus.

      (2) Israel was an occupied country.

      (3) There were leaders of Israel whose primary role was to be the 'go
      between'. By this I mean they were responsible for maintaining the 'peace'.

      If the above points are accepted it seems to me reasonable to conclude that
      some 'Jews' and some 'Romans' were involved in the execution of Jesus. As to
      the reasons behind their involvement... I leave that to the more scholarly
      of xtalk to discern.

      Certainly Mahon is correct when he insists that it was not the Jewish people
      who executed Jesus but Davis is also correct when he states that it wasn't
      the Romans alone that did it. ( my apologies if I have mis-stated either
      case)

      IMHO Jesus was executed under Roman law as interpreted by P.P. but at the
      instigation, aid and blessings of 'some' Jewish leaders.

      Brian Waddington
      semi retired pastor