[XTalk] Marking time

  • Robert M Schacht
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2000
      On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:49:55 -0000 "Mark Goodacre"
      <M.S.Goodacre@...> writes:
      > If I might add another note to this interesting thread, I would argue
      > that the best evidence for a Jewish Christian paschal liturgy from
      > very early on comes in the Gospels themselves. All four
      > canonicals make a big deal about the timing of the events of the
      > passion, especially the roughly 24 hours that go from what we
      > would call 6 p.m. Maundy Thursday to what we would call 6 p.m.
      > Good Friday. Everything seems neatly arranged into three-hour
      > sessions. ...
      > The point I attempted to push is that it is not that the liturgy
      > explanation is competing with anything else here. There are
      > simply no good explanations for this feature in the literature.
      > Robert Gundry pointed out in a review of my book in JBL that the
      > marking of time could be a matter of stressing just how quickly it
      > was all happenning. I am not sure, however, that this deals with
      > the difficulty of the regularity of the three-hour interval. If the
      reason
      > was simply to register haste, this could have been done in a variety
      > of different ways....

      An interesting point. How was time was measured in that cultural setting?

      The early Christian orders structured time in 3-hour watches, if I'm
      remembering correctly. How does the Greek refer to the units of time
      within the day? Were there differences between how the Greeks marked
      time, and how time was marked in contemporary Jewish (Hebrew/Aramaic)
      culture?

      Perhaps 3 hour segments was the smallest meaningful unit of time around
      which events within a day could be ordered?