[Xtalk] Burton Mack et al

  • Jimi Fosdick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 1999
      I have recently been reading Burton Mack (The Lost Gospel & Who Wrote the
      New Testament). I am curious if anyone knows how he arrives at the dates he
      attributes for the 4 canonical gospels. Even among liberal secular NT
      scholars his dating seems quite late since Mark doesn't show up until around
      65 and Luke checks in early second century. I don't know that I've ever read
      any arguments for how these dates are arrived at.

      Jimi Fosdick
      Software Developer
      Callisto Software, Inc.
      (630)OVerland2-5909
      http://www.callisto.com

      "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
      - William of Ockham

    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 1999
        At 05:09 PM 6/4/99 -0500, Jimi Fosdick wrote:
        >I have recently been reading Burton Mack (The Lost Gospel & Who Wrote the
        >New Testament). I am curious if anyone knows how he arrives at the dates he
        >attributes for the 4 canonical gospels. Even among liberal secular NT
        >scholars his dating seems quite late since Mark doesn't show up until around
        >65 and Luke checks in early second century. I don't know that I've ever read
        >any arguments for how these dates are arrived at.

        The Mark dating at 65 is mainstream, if a bit early, but the Luke dating is
        much later than mainstream.

        For Mark, Achtemeier in the Anchor Bible Dictionary (a good treatment of
        mainstream scholarly positions) states that "a date around 70 C.E. is as
        good as any." He admits that there really isn't much to go on in dating
        Mark because the references to the destruction of the temple in 70 is too
        vague in Mark. There is a tendency to date Mark early because of Markan
        priority under the Two Source Hypothesis (and the Farrer Hypothesis), but
        not so early as 64 because Papias' reliability is questioned.

        For Matthew, Meier would place this gospel inevitably after 70 because
        of its dependence on Mark and Q (under the Two Source Hypothesis) and
        on the convoluted history of the M material, the delay of the Parousia
        in 24:48 25:5 19, an allusion to the destruction of Jerusalem in 22:7,
        and the separation of Matthew's church from the synagogue. Use of Mt
        by Ignatius (117) limit how late Mt can be dated.

        For Luke, L.T.Johnson places the gospel around 80-85 which is recent
        enough for a companion of Paul ("we"-sections of Acts) to have written
        Luke-Acts and to have ignored Paul's letters, but late enough to
        account for the nostalgia in his works. Writing from a more
        conservative perspective, Johnson, however, did not discuss the
        fairly clear (at least in comparison with the others) references to
        the destruction of Jerusalem.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...