[XTalk] Re: varieties of early Jewish-Christians

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2000
      On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Daniel Grolin wrote:

      > Dear Yuri,
      >
      > There is one thing that strikes me:
      >
      > You wrote:
      > <(2) Other Jewish Christians held a form of an adoptionist
      > Christology. They believed Jesus "to have been a man, and to have been
      > appointed by election, and then to have become Messiah" (Dial 45, 47).>
      >
      > This is the group you favour for the most ancient of Judeo-Christians.
      > It occurs to me that the formulation, that Jesus was "appointed by
      > election", follows the concepts of Horsley's "popular messianic
      > movement", rather than a scribal variant. I would consider this to be
      > a plus for your hypothesis, since Jesus' movement was undoubtedly
      > popular in origin.

      Hi, Daniel.

      Well, first of all, let me correct what I wrote previously. For some
      reason I wrote "appointed" instead of "annointed", although the general
      meaning is still roughly similar. Here are a couple of corrected quotes
      from Justin.

      (2) Other Jewish Christians held a form of an adoptionist Christology.
      They believed Jesus "to have been a man, and to have been anointed by
      election, and then to have become Christ",

      "For there are some, my friends," I [Justin] said, "of our race, who admit
      that He is Christ, while holding Him to be man of men."

      "And Trypho said, "Those who affirm him to have been a man, and to have
      been anointed by election, and then to have become Christ, appear to me to
      speak more plausibly than you who hold those opinions which you express.
      For we all expect that Christ will be a man [born] of men, and that Elijah
      when he comes will anoint him. But if this man appear to be Christ, he
      must certainly be known as man [born] of men." (Dial 48-49)

      [end quotes]

      The complete text is available here,

      http://ccel.wheaton.edu/fathers2/ANF-01/anf01-48.htm#P4043_787325

      As Trypho says in the quote, for the believing Jews it would have made a
      lot more sense, and a lot less troublesome, to accept Yeshu as a common
      man at first, who was later made the Messiah at the time, or shortly
      after, his death by Crucifixion.

      Regards,

      Yuri.

      equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian