[Xtalk] Re: Did HJ claim to be the messiah?

  • BobSchacht@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 1999
      In a message dated 6/2/99 2:20:02 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
      antonio.jerez@... writes:

      > ... Mahlon Smith replied:
      > >>There is no reliable evidence that HJ claimed to be the Messiah. This
      was
      > a role >>foisted on him by others, probably as a result of his message of
      > devotion to God's >>Kingdom (as an in-breaking order, not announcement of
      its
      > "coming" in the by & by).

      Antonio:
      > Maybe it is true that Jesus never claimed openly to be the Messiah. But
      > maybe the question should be put in another way: did he have any messianic
      > consciousness? Did he consider himself specially chosen by God and in a
      > special
      > position visavi God? What does his choice of a special group of 12
      (himself
      > not
      > included) tell us about his perception of himself? ...

      Good questions, Antonio. And your questions look even better if we consider
      Steve Davies' book, Jesus the Healer. Now even if we take Steve's thesis
      as-is, that Jesus
      was "possessed," and in this possessed state spoke in God's name, even if he
      was completely disassociated during his possession state, people would still
      talk to him about what he said while possessed, implying some self-awareness
      of his disassociated alter ego. Which might make a fella wonder.

      Note that when Jesus asks, "who do men say that I am?" and Peter says "you're
      the Messiah," Jesus blesses him but doesn't directly confirm his statement.
      That only happens in GJohn and in a few possible ego eimi statements in Mark
      (which could have been uttered in Jesus' possession state, if Steve is right.)

      On the other hand, I was assuming that someone would make Mahlon's point. I
      stated it the way I did to be faithful to the review of Rivkin's book.
      Perhaps I should have injected a disclaimer, but then we wouldn't have had
      this interesting exchange!