[XTalk] Re: Middle Eastern story telling norms

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2000
      On 9 Jan 00, at 23:40, Davies wrote:

      > On the other hand it seems rather
      > likely that Jesus' parables are parody-riddles (Mark seems
      > to have thought so... cf. Chapter 4). He seems to have told
      > the riddle without any intention of telling the punch line.
      >
      > Jesus "Why is the Kingdom of God like a mustard seed?"
      > Wanda "I give up, why is it?"
      > Jesus "Seek and ye shall find. Why is the Kingdom of God
      > like a man who took seed... etc?"
      > Wanda "Tell me!"
      > Jesus "The hidden will be revealed. Why is the Kingdom of God
      > like a fisherman who caught a bunch of fish and tossed back
      > the little ones keeping the big one?"

      This sounds uncannily like _Godspell_. Have you ever seen it? There
      is one seen where Jesus tells the log and the speck saying to Judas
      beginning with "I say I say I say". All very embarrassing.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      The New Testament Gateway
      All-in-One Biblical Resources Search