[Xtalk] Re: Parables and History

  • BobSchacht@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999
      In a message dated 6/2/99 11:53:00 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
      phil@... writes:

      > Please notice, Bob, and emphasize what I said about "context". The parable
      > context is what I drew attention to. It is my undersanding that from an
      > early rural, Galilean origin "tradition" was distributed via Gospels (in
      > this case, Matthew) in Urban settings, for that is where the literate elite
      > capable of writing these records were concentrated. For an urban dweller
      > seize upon a rural workforce imagery to make a point requires a real
      stretch
      > of imagination. "Someone who stood in line for a job" is implied by the
      > parable context.
      >
      > -phil@...

      Well, so I guess the issue is how urban is urban? The kind of labor pool
      setting described in the parable is not really a village setting-- too
      inefficient. It would be a market town such as Sepphoris, probably at the
      edge of town. But maybe by urban you mean places like Antioch or Alexandria?
      And I think that the descriptor "Someone who stood in line for a job" suits a
      modern context better than an ancient one. Do we have any real evidence about
      this, or are we only conducting thought experiments? The only lines I recall
      being mentioned in the Gospels were the lines to pay the temple tax at the
      temple. What evidence is there on this elsewhere?

      Cheers,