[XTalk] Middleeastern story telling norms

  • Philip B. Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2000
      Brian Tucker introduced this subject on which a great deal has been
      written. To the data he is collecting he may want to add something that
      came from Palestine today in article on declining number of shepherds there:

      "Ahmed Abyyiat, 60, a Muslim...has about 100 sheep and some goats. All of
      them have names and they understand him when he calls out. 'As we walk, I
      sing and recite poetry, in which I delight, although I hjave never learned
      to read or write,' he said."

      It would seem obvious that poetry, in a form culturally understood, would
      be the stuff of which oral memory is created. Some of the variations in
      textually transmitted tradition may reflect the work of memories accustomed
      to rhyming or rhythmic retention.

      Just a point to mull over.

      Philip Lewis, HR Presby Plains & Peaks
      574=B Sawmill Cove