[XTalk] Re: Testimonium Flavianum

  • Lewis Reich
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 6, 2000
      On 5 Jan 00, at 12:35, Mark T. Cameron wrote:

      > Could not all three of these examples serve Josephus' purpose of
      > showing that the Jews had killed their own greatest leaders, thus
      > bringing divine judgment upon themselves?

      The question appears to presume that that was Josephus' purpose. But
      as I understand it, his argument was not that the killing "of their own
      greatest leaders" brought down divine judgment, but other failures.

      On 7 Jan 00, at 7:40, Neil Godfrey wrote:

      > 3. Could Josephus really have bracketed Jesus with such orthodox
      > voices for law and righteousness as John the Baptist and James?

      While I agree with most of the rest of your argument, it seems worth
      remembering that a case can be made (as Crossan does) that there was a
      revolutionary character to John's movement.

      Lewis Reich
      lbr@...