[Xtalk] Re: Parables and History

  • Philip B Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999

      >Phil,
      >I don't agree on the difficulty of this. These kinds of labor pool scenes
      >were probably quite commonplace. And don't forget that Jesus spent a lot of
      >time in rural places. Besides, all it would take is overhearing someone
      >grousing about time & labor comparisons. This isn't rocket science. Only the
      >concluding zinger is different than expected.

      Please notice, Bob, and emphasize what I said about "context". The parable
      context is what I drew attention to. It is my undersanding that from an
      early rural, Galilean origin "tradition" was distributed via Gospels (in
      this case, Matthew) in Urban settings, for that is where the literate elite
      capable of writing these records were concentrated. For an urban dweller to
      seize upon a rural workforce imagery to make a point requires a real stretch
      of imagination. "Someone who stood in line for a job" is implied by the
      parable context.

      -phil@...
      + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
      Philip B. Lewis HR (Presby. Plains & Peaks)
      754-B Sawmill Cove
      Cottonwood, AZ 86326

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999
        In a message dated 6/2/99 11:53:00 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
        phil@... writes:

        > Please notice, Bob, and emphasize what I said about "context". The parable
        > context is what I drew attention to. It is my undersanding that from an
        > early rural, Galilean origin "tradition" was distributed via Gospels (in
        > this case, Matthew) in Urban settings, for that is where the literate elite
        > capable of writing these records were concentrated. For an urban dweller
        > seize upon a rural workforce imagery to make a point requires a real
        stretch
        > of imagination. "Someone who stood in line for a job" is implied by the
        > parable context.
        >
        > -phil@...

        Well, so I guess the issue is how urban is urban? The kind of labor pool
        setting described in the parable is not really a village setting-- too
        inefficient. It would be a market town such as Sepphoris, probably at the
        edge of town. But maybe by urban you mean places like Antioch or Alexandria?
        And I think that the descriptor "Someone who stood in line for a job" suits a
        modern context better than an ancient one. Do we have any real evidence about
        this, or are we only conducting thought experiments? The only lines I recall
        being mentioned in the Gospels were the lines to pay the temple tax at the
        temple. What evidence is there on this elsewhere?

        Cheers,