[XTalk] Re: Destruction of texts?

  • Larry J. Swain
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2000
      Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

      > > So the legend that "the Church" set out to "destroy" texts is mostly
      > > anti-Christian polemic which mostly turns to vapor on closer
      > > examination. What you'll occasionally find is that some Churches
      > > destroyed some books now and then; but even after Constantine I'll bet
      > > you won't find much other than isolated cases of book destruction.
      >
      > Isolated cases, Bob?
      >
      > Here are quite a few of these isolated cases for you. I suppose it was the
      > Blue Fairy who flew into the window and spirited all these texts away?
      >
      > <list snipped>

      Yuri,
      You make some amazing assumptions here. The list you produce is a list of
      lost works, nothing more. It does not demonstrate that the early church went
      about destroying texts. Many of those listed are quite orthodox in nature
      which would indicate that the church would not have been seeking to destroy
      them, no? Lost, no longer available to us, is not the same as actively
      destroyed.

      Larry Swain