[XTalk] ethical norms (was: HMt and the scientific method

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2000
      Esteemed Crosstalkers,

      I refuse to communicate with Jeffrey B. Gibson any further until such time
      as when I receive his apology for publishing my private email without my
      permission. Prof. Gibson has been on the Net long enough to know that such
      an act constitutes a severe breach of Netiquette. I feel we have to
      maintain some sort of ethical standards on this list. It seems like
      because of monstrous and ritualistic lying by the likes of Clinton and
      Jamie Shea we're seeing a substantial deterioration of ethical standards
      in our society.

      Also, I certainly refuse to accept that I misrepresented what Prof. Gibson
      said in his email. This was simply my interpretation of what he said. He
      has his interpretation of my comments, and I have my interpretation of
      his. Really. Such petty accusations are not worth commenting about. One
      would think we're still in high school.

      Regards,

      Yuri.

      You never need think you can turn over any old falsehoods without a
      terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under
      it -=O=- Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Yuri Kuchinsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2000
        Crosstalkers,

        Doubts have been expressed by Jack and others as to what extent Hebrew was
        used in Israel in the 1 c. These doubts seem to be misplaced. Hebrew was
        certainly both spoken and written in Israel in the 1 c. Much religious
        literature was written at that time in Hebrew. Here's some info from the
        Enc. Britannica,

        [quote]

        http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/0/0,5716,108150+6,00.html

        Palestinian literature [Hellenistic period]

        During this period literature was composed in Palestine in Hebrew,
        Aramaic, and Greek, with the exact language still a subject of
        dispute among scholars in many cases and with the works often
        apparently composed by more than one author over a considerable
        period of time. Most of the works composed in Hebrew, many of them
        existing only in Greek--Ecclesiasticus, I Maccabees, Judith,
        Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs, Baruch, Psalms of Solomon,
        Prayer of Manasseh--and many of the Dead Sea Scrolls are generally
        conscious imitations of biblical books, often reflecting the
        dramatic events of the Maccabean struggle and often with an
        apocalyptic tinge (involving the dramatic intervention of God in
        history).

        [Book of] Enoch (perhaps originally written in Hebrew)

        _Jubilees, Book of_ also called THE LITTLE GENESIS, pseudepigraphal
        work (not included in any canon of scripture)...

        Jubilees is preserved in its entirety only in an Ethiopic
        translation, which was derived from a Greek translation made from
        the Hebrew. Fragments of the Greek and Hebrew texts are also extant.
        ... Book of Jubilees (now known to have been
        composed in Hebrew, as seen by its appearance among the Dead Sea
        Scrolls), and Biblical Antiquities, falsely attributed to Philo
        (originally written in Hebrew, then translated into Greek, but now
        extant only in Latin) ...

        [end quote]

        And here's some more very strong support for the currency of Hebrew in 1
        c. Israel,

        [quote]

        http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/4/0,5716,108154+6,00.html

        The sacred language: Hebrew and the vernacular tongues

        The transformation of Hebrew into a sacred language is, of course,
        bound up with the political fate of the people. In the period
        following the return from the Babylonian Exile, Aramaic, a
        cognate of Hebrew, functioned as the international or imperial
        language in official life and certainly gained a foothold as a
        vernacular. It did not, despite claims made by some scholars,
        displace the everyday Hebrew of the people. The language of the
        Mishna, far from being a scholar's dialect, seems to reflect--in the
        same way as the Koine (common) Greek of the New Testament--popular
        speech. Displacement of Hebrew--both in its literary form in
        Scriptures and in its popular usage--did take place in the
        Diaspora, however, as evidenced by the need to translate
        Scriptures into Greek in some communities and into Aramaic in
        others.

        [end quote]

        All this indicates very clearly that there can be no serious objections to
        HMt being at home in Israel in the 1 c. or later.

        As far as the inscriptional evidence is concerned, as Joseph A. Fitzmyer
        notes in his "The Languages of Palestine in the First Century A.D.", often
        it is impossible to say in which language the funeral inscription is made,

        "There are, of course, ossuaries with Semitic names that could have been
        inscribed by Hebrew-speaking Jews as well as by Aramaic-speaking Jews. The
        use of ben instead of bar in the patronymics is not sure indication of a
        Hebrew proper name, even though it is often used to distinguish Hebrew
        from Aramaic inscriptions on the ossuaries." (1997 reprint, p. 44)

        Fitzmyer, himself, is certainly persuaded of the use of Hebrew in this
        time period,

        "That Hebrew was being used in first-century Palestine is beyond doubt, as
        we have been saying..." (ibid, p. 45)

        Also, we have numerous Patristic sources indicating the existence of a
        Hebrew Mt in the early centuries of Christianity. Were all those Fathers
        of the Church imagining all those things? After all, they consistently
        report contacts with Jewish Christian groups of all sorts, all having some
        sorts of Hebrew gospels of Mt, most likely different versions and
        recensions.

        It would certainly appear as rather presumptious for any historian to
        dismiss all that evidence out of hand.

        Regards,

        Yuri.

        The world is made up, for the most part, of fools or knaves, both
        irreconcilable foes to truth; the first being slaves to a blind credulity,
        which we may properly call bigotry, the last too jealous of that power
        they have usurped over the folly and ignorance of the others -- which the
        establishment of the empire of reason would destroy -- George Villiers