[XTalk] Re: New Year

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 1999
      Fellow listers:

      In a little over one hour here in Texas, the hammer will drop on a new
      year. Although people seem to be going nuts over a "new Millennium" and
      a "new century" (which wont happen for another year),
      and Y2K is scaring the hell out of many, and a bunch of crazies are
      expecting to hail in Armageddon in Israel, the year will play out as it
      has every year of my life.
      I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone the very best for the
      coming year. I want to acknowledge what a terrific resource for
      learning and sharing viewpoints, XTalk has become and to give high fives
      to Jeff Gibson, Steve Carlson, Bob Schacht, Mark Goodacre and Mahlon
      Smith..with an extra high five to Jeff. Reading what these fine
      scholars write and engaging in exchanges with them is a priceless
      opportunity. There are undergrads who pay thousands of dollars a year
      just to sit in their classrooms.
      Let us go into the new year with even a greater resolve to maintain the
      high standards for which this version of Xtalk has gained a reputation.
      By nature, anyone involved in HJ research is a free thinker who seeks
      what is as close to true and the historical-critical method will allow.
      This still leaves a great deal of room for individual paradigms and many
      contexts. By that very nature, we are NOT going to agree with each
      other, in part...or in total. What we can do, however, is show the
      respect that years of study has earned our interlocutors.

      I wish you all a prosperous and care-free 2000.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net