[Xtalk] Parables & History

  • Philip B Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 1999
      Question: is it possible to identify the HJ in parable contexts?

      I have in mind Matt.20.1-15, the Proprieter who hired workers at several
      hours of the day to work in his vineyard. My focus is on the "men for hire"
      context. I note that the Jesus Seminar agreed that this parable could
      probably be attributed to Jesus. It is often interpreted as descriptive of
      the church's experience as it became increasingly Gentile.

      IMO it would be difficult for a story teller to invent the hiring practice
      and consequent worker resentments unless he had himself stood in the labor
      pool hoping for employment. Did the HJ stand in line waiting for a job?
      How much of teaching ascribed to Jesus in the Gospels may actually have been
      drwan from his own Human situation?

      Philip
      -phil@...
      Philip B. Lewis HR (Presby. Plains & Peaks)
      754-B Sawmill Cove
      Cottonwood, AZ 86326