[Xtalk] The Letter of James

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 1999
      but I don't recall any talk about the Letter of Jacob. Though probably not
      written by Jacob himself, this short letter is jam-packed with Jacobean
      attitudes, including a defense of "works vs. faith", a veiled criticism of
      Paul for "not keeping control over his tongue", and even a veiled objection
      to the LP! ("God ... does not tempt anybody.")

      Luke Timothy Johnson in his recent "Letter of James" , part of the Anchor
      Bible series, gives a good defence of the earliness of James's letter and a
      fair argument for at least the possibility of James being the author. I was
      convinced by his earliness argument but am still sceptical of James being
      the author himself.
      James dictating the letter to a scribe who translates into his own fluent
      greek, that I could buy. If you get a chance LTJ's "Letter of James" is
      wortwhile although slightly polemic.

      Paul Miller