[crosstalk2] Re: What about "Xtalk"?

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 15 , May 25 5:26 AM
      At 07:15 AM 5/25/99 -0500, you wrote:

      >Mark Goodacre wrote:
      >>
      >> One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:
      >
      >I like it!

      It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
      out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.

      Best,

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Jim West, ThD
      email- jwest@...
      web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 15 , May 25 7:23 AM
        Jim West wrote:

        > At 07:15 AM 5/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
        > >

        > >Mark Goodacre wrote:
        > >>
        > >> One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:
        > >
        > >I like it!
        >
        > It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
        > out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.

        Eeeeks! That's right! I never thought of that. "X" on the internet can get
        you some very unwanted material on a search. How about merely
        translating "Crosstalk" into a form recognized by most scholars?
        Kreutzsprache? Hey! Gimme a break..just ruminating <grin>

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
      • Felix Just, S.J.
        Message 3 of 15 , May 25 8:57 AM
          Mark Goodacre wrote:

          > On 25 May 99 at 9:23, Jack Kilmon wrote, quoting Jim West
          >
          > > > It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
          > > > out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.
          > >
          > > Eeeeks! That's right! I never thought of that. "X" on the internet can get
          > > you some very unwanted material on a search.
          >
          > Yes -- I hadn't thought of that either. Thanks Jim. OK -- drop that
          > suggestion!

          I respectfully disagree, and think Mark's idea of "XTalk" is the best, for all
          the reasons he mentioned in his initial post.

          Besides,
          a) don't you usually need three "X"s for that sort of stuff on the internet?
          b) if anyone stumbles upon our group based on a search for X, they won't want to
          or be able to join anyway (isn't our membership restricted?)
          c) if they did stumble upon our group looking for that sort of stuff, maybe
          they'll be converted encountering the real Jesus through our discussions (like
          the woman of John 8, even if that story is not HJ material!)

          But seriously, Mark's best point is that X refers both to "cross" (even
          without atonement theology, don't HJ scholars at least admit THAT Jesus was
          crucified?!?), and to "Christ" (from the Greek we all know).

          So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!

          Felix Just, S.J. -- Asst. Prof. of Theological Studies
          Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
          Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
          Web-Pages http://clawww.lmu.edu/faculty/fjust

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 15 , May 25 9:08 AM
            On 25 May 99 at 9:23, Jack Kilmon wrote, quoting Jim West

            > > It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
            > > out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.
            >
            > Eeeeks! That's right! I never thought of that. "X" on the internet can get
            > you some very unwanted material on a search.

            Yes -- I hadn't thought of that either. Thanks Jim. OK -- drop that
            suggestion!

            Mark
            --------------------------------------
            Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
            University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
            Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

            http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
            Aseneth Home Page
            Recommended New Testament Web Resources
            Mark Without Q

            Message 5 of 15 , May 25 9:16 AM
              Sam Gibson wrote:

              > Hmmm... wouldn't that be a list about Paul?
              >
              > Sorry...just finished a Maccoby book...
              > -
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Sam Gibson

              Mythmaker? What did ya think?

              Jack

              Jack Kilmon
              jkilmon@...

              http://www.historian.net

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
              Message 6 of 15 , May 25 9:17 AM
                Mark Goodacre wrote:

                > I rather liked that point. I have never thought of the "cross" in Crosstalk as
                > necessarily implying discussion of atonement theology and the like.
                > >
                > > So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!
                >
                > OK -- I re-instate my suggestion. The potential problem turns out not to be
                > one. See how useful this consultation business can be?

                How about Christian Origins, as suggested privately to me by Liz Fried?.

                Jeffrey Gibson

                --
                Jeffrey B. Gibson
                7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

                Message 7 of 15 , May 25 9:22 AM
                  I'm cool with the Xtalk..let's fly with it

                  Jack

                  Mark Goodacre wrote:

                  > On 25 May 99 at 11:17, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
                  >
                  > > How about Christian Origins, as suggested privately to me by Liz Fried?
                  >
                  > I think it moves things a little too far from the main "Historical Jesus"
                  > focus. If we were to go with Xtalk then we could keep the "Historical Jesus &
                  > Christian Origins" subtitle, couldn't we?
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                  > Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom
                  >
                  > http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                  > Aseneth Home Page
                  > Recommended New Testament Web Resources
                  > Mark Without Q

                  > FREE email Newsletters delivered right to your in-box.
                  > CNET, USAToday, RollingStone, and moreĀ…
                  > Click Here Now! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/314
                  >
                  > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2

                  Jack Kilmon
                  jkilmon@...

                  http://www.historian.net

                  eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
                • Sam Gibson
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 25 9:46 AM

                    -----------------------------
                    cygnus@...
                    http://www.cygnus-study.com
                    -----------------------------

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 25 9:52 AM
                      My vote also is for "Xtalk: Historical Jesus and Christian Origins"
                      (great idea, Mark!).
                      It combines the best ideas so far: a short useable title, and an
                      explicitly clear sub-title.

                      Shall we take a poll?

                      If and when it's decided, then the list managers CAN automatically
                      transfer everyone over to the new list (not just "inviting" them), so
                      that no one else has to resubscribe or do anything else. (If you
                      haven't found the trick to how to make this work, Jeffrey, let me know
                      and I'll easily explain off-list.)

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 25 10:17 AM
                        On 25 May 99 at 8:57, Felix Just, S.J. wrote:

                        > I respectfully disagree, and think Mark's idea of "XTalk" is the best, for all
                        > the reasons he mentioned in his initial post.
                        >
                        > Besides,
                        > a) don't you usually need three "X"s for that sort of stuff on the internet?
                        > b) if anyone stumbles upon our group based on a search for X, they won't want
                        > to or be able to join anyway (isn't our membership restricted?) c) if they did
                        > stumble upon our group looking for that sort of stuff, maybe they'll be
                        > converted encountering the real Jesus through our discussions (like the woman
                        > of John 8, even if that story is not HJ material!)

                        Not knowing much about "that sort of stuff", I was probably more concerned than
                        I needed to be : ) So I did a search on dogpile (which searches all the major
                        search engines) for "Xtalk" and not a single dodgy site came up, either on
                        Lycos, Infoseek, Excite etc. etc. There is a "Xtalk.com" (predictably) but I
                        don't see that that need be a problem.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 25 10:23 AM
                          At 08:57 AM 5/25/99 -0700, you wrote:

                          >So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!

                          Just for clarification- my purpose in pointing out the ambiguity of xtalk
                          was NOT to get Mark, or anyone, to change their mind. I simply wished to
                          point out that such a name will be quite misunderstood by the populum vulgarum.

                          back to listening only mode,

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 25 10:30 AM