[Xtalk] Re: literalism vs metaphor

  • BobSchacht@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 1999
      In a message dated 5/30/99 11:39:29 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
      mgrondin@... writes:

      > It's hard to keep track of things, messages coming so fast as furious as
      > they now are, but a couple of folks recently said that they had never
      > thought that "daily bread" might refer to TEACHINGS. This really baffles
      > me, and I'm wondering whether I misunderstood the posts, or whether it
      > might indicate that we sometimes under-estimate the role of metaphor and
      > symbolism in the NT.

      Mike,
      I think we're just trying to navigate between the Scylla of extreme
      literalism on the one hand, and the Charybdis of the extremes of metaphorical
      interpretation that were popular in Origen's day. To me, it is undeniable
      that the NT is full of metaphorical language. It is also full of concrete
      details. My difficulty (perhaps no one else has this problem) is with the
      enormous gray area inbetween where I scratch my head and wonder whether they
      really meant that literally, or did they mean it metaphorically? Often, the
      answer turns out to be, "Yes." ;-)