[Xtalk] The Letter of Jacob

  • Mike Grondin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 1999
      I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts about Jacob the
      Righteous, so I may inadvertently be doing an injustice to someone, but I
      don't recall any talk about the Letter of Jacob. Though probably not
      written by Jacob himself, this short letter is jam-packed with Jacobean
      attitudes, including a defense of "works vs. faith", a veiled criticism of
      Paul for "not keeping control over his tongue", and even a veiled objection
      to the LP! ("God ... does not tempt anybody.")

      Mike
    • Anne Quast
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 1999
        At 15:38 31/05/1999 -0400, Mike wrote:
        >I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts about Jacob the
        >Righteous, so I may inadvertently be doing an injustice to someone, but I
        >don't recall any talk about the Letter of Jacob. Though probably not
        >written by Jacob himself, this short letter is jam-packed with Jacobean
        >attitudes, including a defense of "works vs. faith", a veiled criticism of
        >Paul for "not keeping control over his tongue", and even a veiled objection
        >to the LP! ("God ... does not tempt anybody.")
        >
        >Mike
        >------------------------------------
        The Apocryphon of James (in The Nag Hammadi Library edited by James
        Robinson) also appears to stress the idea of works are better than faith
        alone. Is there any relationship between this work and the Epistle of
        James in the NT?

        Anne Quast

        Anne in Australia

        E-mail: anneq@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 1999
          > The Apocryphon of James (in The Nag Hammadi Library edited by James
          > Robinson) also appears to stress the idea of works are better than faith
          > alone. Is there any relationship between this work and the Epistle of
          > James in the NT?

          No, other than the fact that while the post-war Paulist centrists were busy minimizing the role of Jacob, gnostic Christians were still appealing to his authority.

          Mike G.