[XTalk] Re: Mk. 9 - 6:26

  • Stephen Warnes
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 1999
      > My NRSV has a footnote which states quite clearly that
      > "Ch 4.1-6 are Ch 3.19-24 in Heb:

      I'm amazed to learn that the original Heb text had chapter and
      verse numbers. Or is this only for Malachi?

      Steve

      I don't understand the NRSV footnote to be making such a claim.
      I read it as saying something like: "We have made a choice to
      follow a tradition which starts a new chapter at this point. We recognise
      that other translators make a different choice. If you - dear reader -
      should happen to come across translations which differ from ours in this
      respect, just remember that chapter and verse numbers are a later convention
      not to be found in the extant Hebrew documents."

      I guess they thought it was easier to say:
      "Ch 4.1-6 are Ch 3.19-24 in Heb"

      Stephen Warnes
      Christchurch, New Zealand
      bishops.chaplain@...