[XTalk] Re: Mark 3:29

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 1999
      At 07:10 AM 12/5/99 -0600, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >But, as
      >I noted above, it still seems to me that ALLA ENOXOS ESTIN is key and that
      >whether the expression following it is AIWNIOU KRISEWS or AIWNIOU
      >hAMARTHMATOS, there is no question of the one blaspheming being only in
      >danger of suffering what the expression represents.
      >
      >But -- not having a TR handy -- the question then is: what is the phrase
      >which precedes AIWNIOU KRISEWS in the TR?

      Someone already responded that ALLA ENOXOS ESTIN is in the TR before
      AIWNIOU KRISEWS, and I would agree with you that it is key to the
      passage. However, the translational difference between the AV and
      most modern versions is due to the difference in the underlying text,
      and is in fact a good example of the Byzantine Text's smoothing of
      a difficult phrase. What does an "eternal sin" really mean after
      all?

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...