[XTalk] Re: kratesai

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 1999
      Julie Buescher wrote:

      > The Bible Knowledge Commentary (by Walvoord and Zuck) defines the Greek
      > word "kratesai" as "a word used for making an arrest." Do any of you
      > have definitions from other sources?

      Julie,

      There is an online edition of the standard dictionary of Classical and (some)
      Hellenistic Greek -- with occasional NT examples - the Liddle Scott Jones or
      LSJ, at the following URL

      http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?entry=a)podi/dwmi

      I suggest that you take advantage of this resource when first you have
      questions about the meaning of Greek words or whether a particular
      commentator's definition is correct.

      Also, you might wish to think about asking basic Greek questions -- which are
      not altogether appropriate here on XTalk (since, as our home page notes, we
      have a different focus) -- on the forum which is set up to handle them,
      B-Greek.

      Information about this list can be found at

      http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek/index.html

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --