[XTalk] Hanged on a tree, BCE?

  • Nathan McGovern
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 1999
      There are several non-mainstream commentators on the HJ who believe that
      Jesus actually lived about 100 years before he was supposed to have lived.
      This theory is derived from accounts on Yeshu ha'Notzri / Yeshu ben Pandera
      / censored no-name in the Baraitha and other Jewish sources. Now, I do not
      personally agree with this theory, but I am a firm believer in one having
      some support for one's theories. Those who believe Jesus lived 100 years
      earlier than supposed do have support for their theory, however tenuous it
      may be. My question, then, is this: If Jesus lived in the first century
      and died under Pontius Pilate, as most believe, then why do certain Jewish
      sources say otherwise? In other words, why did the authors of the
      Baraitha, etc. think or say that Jesus lived 100 years before he did if he
      didn't?

      Thanks in advance.

      Shalom,

      Nathan