[XTalk] Mark 3:29

  • Julie Buescher
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 1999
      I have a question about section 12 of Jeffrey B. Gibsons article.

      12. It is sometimes claimed, e.g. by Guelich (Mark 1-8:26, p. 180),
      Lane (Mark, p. 146), Cranfield (Mark, p. 142, following Taylor [Mark,
      p. 244]), E.
      Schweizer (The Good News according to Mark [Atlanta: John Knox, 1975],
      p. 87) and others, that Jesus' response in 3.28-30 is not a judgement
      on the
      authorities or an assessment of what it is they have done, but only a
      warning to them which says, in effect, `Watch out! You have no idea of
      the dangerous
      ground upon which you are treading. Talk like that [the charge], if
      persistent, will make you liable to an eternal punishment'. This, if
      true, would mitigate
      something of the harshness of Jesus' rebuke and its apparent
      gratuitousness.

      I've noticed that in some translations of Mark 3:29, it says
      "...are in danger of eternal damnation." as opposed to "...are guilty
      of an eternal sin." I was wondering if there is any evidence to show if
      the first is more reliable than the second. Do scholars know which one
      is the earliest of the extant copies?

      Julie
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 1999
        At 06:50 PM 12/4/99 -0800, Julie Buescher wrote:
        > I've noticed that in some translations of Mark 3:29, it says
        >"...are in danger of eternal damnation." as opposed to "...are guilty
        >of an eternal sin." I was wondering if there is any evidence to show if
        >the first is more reliable than the second. Do scholars know which one
        >is the earliest of the extant copies?

        The translations that state "eternal damnation" (AIWNIOU KRISEWS) are
        following the Textus Receptus or the (Byzantine) Majority Text. The
        "eternal sin" (AIWNIOU hAMARTHMATOS) reading follows the better and
        earlier manuscripts such as the fourth century Codex Sinaiticus
        (Aleph/01) and Codex Vaticanus (B/03). Only P45 predates these two
        for the Gospel of Mark, but unfortunately P45 is lacking in Mark
        from the beginning to 4:35.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...