[XTalk] Re: Mark 3:21

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 1999
      Julie Buescher wrote:

      [much snipped]

      > It appears to me that Jesus is saying to those seated around
      > him,(who Matt identifies as the disciples) "You are my REAL mother and
      > brothers, NOT them!" You must remember that it was his family, NOT the
      > disciples, who physically removed him while he was acting out. (The
      > Bible Knowledge Commentary by Walvoored and Zuck tells us that "his
      > family" comes from a Greek idiom for kinsmen, not friends. pg.117). I
      > believe that Jesus may still have been angry, not just in general, but
      > specifically at his family.
      > I believe there are three good reasons to believe Mark's account
      > of these events over Matthew and Luke. 1st) Mark was the original of
      > the three, and Matthew and Luke used it as a guide. 2nd) It makes no
      > sense that the author of Mark, would make up a fictional story, which
      > showed Jesus in such a negative light. 3rd) It's only in Mark's version
      > that it finally makes sense, why Jesus would make such a strong threat.
      > That a mere utterance would never be forgiven, while all other sins
      > such as murder, rape, torture, etc., would.

      Coincidentally, I was just about to return to and revise for publication an
      article on this topic that I worked up some time ago. I come to a different
      conclusion about why Jesus utters so severe a condemnation against the
      Scribes, namely, that the charge they level against him is calculated calumny
      -- that is to say, they know it is not true, but they are trying intentionally
      to blacken Jesus' name. Should you -- or any XTalker --wish to see my
      arguments on this issue, I have uploaded the article to the XTalk Articles for
      Review Page. Go to (watch the wrap!):

      http://www.egroups.com/docvault/crosstalk2/Articles%20for%20Review/MK322.htm

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson