[XTalk] Re: Jewish Sacrifices

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 1999
      "brian tucker" <jbtucke-@...> wrote:

      >>David

      Thanks for the information. One of the reasons I asked the question has
      to do with the issue of the early christian involovement with the
      sacrifices of the temple. In Acts 21:26 Paul - through the vow -
      involves himself in the offering system of the Temple. How does one
      resolve the conflict between his teaching, and possibly the teaching of
      Jesus and his willingness to still involve himself in temple
      sacrifices? This question was brought up to me last week, I have
      consulted a few critical commentaries, most seem to "skirt around" this
      issue. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? It seems to me that the
      early christians were involved in some measure.<<

      Hmmm...

      Probably your best bets will be E. P. Sanders and Jacob Neusner. Both
      have published a number of books on 1st century Judaism which discuss
      how Jesus or early Christians and Paul might have fit into it.

      E P Sanders:

      _Jewish Law from Jesus to the Mishna_ (1990)
      _Judaism: Practice & Belief 63 BCE - 66 CE_ (1992)
      _Paul and Palestinian Judaism_ (1977)
      _Paul, the Law, and the Jewish People_ (1983)

      Jacob Neusner:

      I do not have any of this prolific writer's books in my library,
      yet...! He is at odds with Sanders over the proper way to weigh the
      value of rabbinic sources. While Neusner is an ordained rabbi himself,
      he works firmly within the framework of historical-critical
      scholarship. Although Sanders and Neusner joust regularly, they both
      acknowledge the other's contributions to the subjects at hand.

      Sanders does not seem to dwell that much on Gentile participation in
      Temple worship or their other associations with Jews, even when dealing
      with Paul. To help fill this omission, I'd recommend looking up the
      recently revised edition of Emil Schurer's _The history of the Jewish
      people in the age of Jesus Christ_, especially vol. II, ch 24
      "Priesthood and Temple Worship" (pp 237-308), the appendix to ch 24
      "Gentile Participation in Worship at Jerusalem" (pp 309-313), ch 28
      "Life and the Law" (pp 464-487), ch 29 "Messianism" (pp 488-546), and
      vol III.1, ch 31 "Judaism in the Diaspora: Gentiles and Judaism" (pp
      1-176).

      Hopefully, this will give you a fairly good overview.

      Regards,

      Dave Hindley