[XTalk] Historical Jesus Syllabus

  • sendero@pcsinter.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 1999
      Brian Tucker wrote:

      I have just been asked to prepare a prospectus for an undergrad class on
      the Historical Jesus. I would like some suggestions from list members as
      to what would be the best introductory textboook(s).
      -------------

      Dear Brian:

      Crossan: The Birth of Christianity

      I believe this one should be first on the list.

      Best Regards,
      Mike
    • Brian Tucker
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 1999
        Greetings

        I have just been asked to prepare a prospectus for an undergrad class on
        the Historical Jesus. I would like some suggestions from list members as
        to what would be the best introductory textboook(s). Also, if anyone
        would like to share a copy of their syllabus with me it would be greatly
        appreciated. The syllabus may be sent offline. I checked the archives
        and I did not see any example syllabi listed.

        Thanks
        Brian Tucker, M.A., M.Div, D.Min (candidate)
        Princeton Bible College
        Riverview, MI
        jbtucker@...
      • Gilbert Page
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 1999
          Brian,

          At last a topic I can address (somewhat) authoritatively. I recently (1-1/2
          years ago) took an individualized course at Burlington College on the
          Historical Jesus. I am listing the complete set of books used below.

          Borg, Marcus. Jesus: A New Vision.

          Crossan John Dominic. The Historical Jesus.

          Davies, Stevan. Jesus the Healer.

          Funk, Robert. Honest to Jesus.

          Mack, Burton. The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins.

          Meier, John P. A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus.

          Sanders, E. P. The Historical Figure of Jesus.

          Smith, Morton. Jesus the Magician

          Vermes, Geza. Jesus the Jew

          Vermes, Geza. The Religion of Jesus the New.

          Witherington, Ben. The Jesus Quest.

          Of these, the ones I would consider the most important are the titles by
          Mack, Meier, Davies, Crossan, and Funk. Davies work in particular has grown
          on me since completing my course. Not that I buy everything he has to say,
          but rather that the concept of Jesus as Spirit-Possessed Healer rings more
          true to me with time. Beyond that, Crossan and Funk provide the moderate
          overview of current thinking. But I would wager that Burton Mack's book is
          closer to the actuality of Jesus.

          Hope this helps!

          Gil Page
          kestrel@...