[XTalk] Mark 3:21

  • Julie Buescher
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 1999
      In Mark 3:20-21 it says: 20Then Jesus entered a house, and
      again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able
      to eat. 21When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of
      him, for they said, "He is out of his mind."
      Here are some other translations of Mark 3:21.
      (NASB) When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody
      of Him; for they were saying, "He has lost His senses".
      (RSV) And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for
      people were saying, "He is beside himself."
      (Darby) And his relatives having heard [of it] went out to lay hold on
      him, for they said, "He is out of his mind".
      (WE) When Jesus' family heard about this, they came to take him away.
      They said, "He is crazy."
      (The New Testament in Modern English, Revised Edition) When his
      relatives heard of this, they set out to take charge of him, for people
      were saying, "He must be mad!"

      I've read many bible commentaries, and most of them agree that
      Jesus was
      percieved by the surrounding people to be acting crazy or insane. But
      one commentary implies, that the part which says "He is out of his
      mind", can be translated as "He fainted."
      I was hoping that someone who really knows how to translate the Greek
      version, could tell me if there really is any possible way to translate
      it as "He fainted", and if not, does the Greek version leave any room
      for doubt, that he was acting out in some sort of a crazy or insane
      manner?

      Thank You
      Julie