[XTalk] SBL 1999 (Saturday)

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 1999
      Folks,

      I didn't get back to my hotel until very late, and I've got a very
      early B-Greek meeting tomorrow, so I can't write very much tonight.

      At 11 this morning, a bunch of us met and put faces to names. It
      was pretty great, especially for me meeting Felix Just in the flesh.
      Most of the others I had met at last year's SBL.

      I ended up going to all of the NT text criticism session and half of
      the Q session. I'll briefly describe the Q session and leave more
      for tomorrow night.

      The three speakers I saw were James Robinson, Ebler (sp?), and Helmut
      Koester.

      Robinson addressed the historical through the eyes of Q, and placed
      much emphasis on the Lord's prayer and the missionary instructions.
      Robinson painted a portrait of Jesus who travelled from place to
      place without provisions, not out of an ascetic mentality, but fully
      trusting Go to provide. He also suggested that the reason Q did not
      survive or was not canonized was that Q was not sufficiently kerygmatic.

      Ebler (sp?) from Munich argued that the proverbs of Q had the best
      chance for being from the historical Jesus and suggested that the
      proverbs should be used as a "flashlight" on the historical Jesus.
      He concluded that the use of proverbs showed that Jesus wanted to
      comunicate as equals with the people he was "preaching" to.

      Koester ended this set and suggested that Q was too narrow of a base
      to reconstruct the historical Jesus. He said more, but I must get
      some sleep now.

      Stephen