[crosstalk2] Re: What about "Xtalk"?

  • Jan Sammer
    Message 1 of 15 , May 25, 1999
      Mark:

      >One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:

      >Thoughts?

      YES!

      Jan

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 15 , May 25, 1999
        Mark Goodacre wrote:

        > One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:

        I like it!

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 15 , May 25, 1999
          At 07:15 AM 5/25/99 -0500, you wrote:

          >Mark Goodacre wrote:
          >>
          >> One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:
          >
          >I like it!

          It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
          out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.

          Best,

          Jim

          +++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Jim West, ThD
          email- jwest@...
          web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

          Message 4 of 15 , May 25, 1999
            Jim West wrote:

            > At 07:15 AM 5/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
            > >

            > >Mark Goodacre wrote:
            > >>
            > >> One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:
            > >
            > >I like it!
            >
            > It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
            > out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.

            Eeeeks! That's right! I never thought of that. "X" on the internet can get
            you some very unwanted material on a search. How about merely
            translating "Crosstalk" into a form recognized by most scholars?
            Kreutzsprache? Hey! Gimme a break..just ruminating <grin>

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            jkilmon@...

            http://www.historian.net

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
          • Felix Just, S.J.
            Message 5 of 15 , May 25, 1999
              Mark Goodacre wrote:

              > On 25 May 99 at 9:23, Jack Kilmon wrote, quoting Jim West
              >
              > > > It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
              > > > out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.
              > >
              > > Eeeeks! That's right! I never thought of that. "X" on the internet can get
              > > you some very unwanted material on a search.
              >
              > Yes -- I hadn't thought of that either. Thanks Jim. OK -- drop that
              > suggestion!

              I respectfully disagree, and think Mark's idea of "XTalk" is the best, for all
              the reasons he mentioned in his initial post.

              Besides,
              a) don't you usually need three "X"s for that sort of stuff on the internet?
              b) if anyone stumbles upon our group based on a search for X, they won't want to
              or be able to join anyway (isn't our membership restricted?)
              c) if they did stumble upon our group looking for that sort of stuff, maybe
              they'll be converted encountering the real Jesus through our discussions (like
              the woman of John 8, even if that story is not HJ material!)

              But seriously, Mark's best point is that X refers both to "cross" (even
              without atonement theology, don't HJ scholars at least admit THAT Jesus was
              crucified?!?), and to "Christ" (from the Greek we all know).

              So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!

              Felix Just, S.J. -- Asst. Prof. of Theological Studies
              Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
              Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
              Web-Pages http://clawww.lmu.edu/faculty/fjust

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
            • Mark Goodacre
              Message 6 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                On 25 May 99 at 9:23, Jack Kilmon wrote, quoting Jim West

                > > It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
                > > out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.
                >
                > Eeeeks! That's right! I never thought of that. "X" on the internet can get
                > you some very unwanted material on a search.

                Yes -- I hadn't thought of that either. Thanks Jim. OK -- drop that
                suggestion!

                Mark
                --------------------------------------
                Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

                http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                Aseneth Home Page
                Recommended New Testament Web Resources
                Mark Without Q

                Message 7 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                  Sam Gibson wrote:

                  > Hmmm... wouldn't that be a list about Paul?
                  >
                  > Sorry...just finished a Maccoby book...
                  > -
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Sam Gibson

                  Mythmaker? What did ya think?

                  Jack

                  Jack Kilmon
                  jkilmon@...

                  http://www.historian.net

                  eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                    Mark Goodacre wrote:

                    > I rather liked that point. I have never thought of the "cross" in Crosstalk as
                    > necessarily implying discussion of atonement theology and the like.
                    > >
                    > > So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!
                    >
                    > OK -- I re-instate my suggestion. The potential problem turns out not to be
                    > one. See how useful this consultation business can be?

                    How about Christian Origins, as suggested privately to me by Liz Fried?.

                    Jeffrey Gibson

                    --
                    Jeffrey B. Gibson
                    7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                      I'm cool with the Xtalk..let's fly with it

                      Jack

                      Mark Goodacre wrote:

                      > On 25 May 99 at 11:17, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
                      >
                      > > How about Christian Origins, as suggested privately to me by Liz Fried?
                      >
                      > I think it moves things a little too far from the main "Historical Jesus"
                      > focus. If we were to go with Xtalk then we could keep the "Historical Jesus &
                      > Christian Origins" subtitle, couldn't we?
                      >
                      > Mark
                      > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                      > Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom
                      >
                      > http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                      > Aseneth Home Page
                      > Recommended New Testament Web Resources
                      > Mark Without Q

                      > FREE email Newsletters delivered right to your in-box.
                      > CNET, USAToday, RollingStone, and moreĀ…
                      > Click Here Now! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/314
                      >
                      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2

                      Jack Kilmon
                      jkilmon@...

                      http://www.historian.net

                      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
                    • Sam Gibson
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 25, 1999

                        -----------------------------
                        cygnus@...
                        http://www.cygnus-study.com
                        -----------------------------

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                          My vote also is for "Xtalk: Historical Jesus and Christian Origins"
                          (great idea, Mark!).
                          It combines the best ideas so far: a short useable title, and an
                          explicitly clear sub-title.

                          Shall we take a poll?

                          If and when it's decided, then the list managers CAN automatically
                          transfer everyone over to the new list (not just "inviting" them), so
                          that no one else has to resubscribe or do anything else. (If you
                          haven't found the trick to how to make this work, Jeffrey, let me know
                          and I'll easily explain off-list.)

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                            On 25 May 99 at 8:57, Felix Just, S.J. wrote:

                            > I respectfully disagree, and think Mark's idea of "XTalk" is the best, for all
                            > the reasons he mentioned in his initial post.
                            >
                            > Besides,
                            > a) don't you usually need three "X"s for that sort of stuff on the internet?
                            > b) if anyone stumbles upon our group based on a search for X, they won't want
                            > to or be able to join anyway (isn't our membership restricted?) c) if they did
                            > stumble upon our group looking for that sort of stuff, maybe they'll be
                            > converted encountering the real Jesus through our discussions (like the woman
                            > of John 8, even if that story is not HJ material!)

                            Not knowing much about "that sort of stuff", I was probably more concerned than
                            I needed to be : ) So I did a search on dogpile (which searches all the major
                            search engines) for "Xtalk" and not a single dodgy site came up, either on
                            Lycos, Infoseek, Excite etc. etc. There is a "Xtalk.com" (predictably) but I
                            don't see that that need be a problem.

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                              At 08:57 AM 5/25/99 -0700, you wrote:

                              >So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!

                              Just for clarification- my purpose in pointing out the ambiguity of xtalk
                              was NOT to get Mark, or anyone, to change their mind. I simply wished to
                              point out that such a name will be quite misunderstood by the populum vulgarum.

                              back to listening only mode,

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 25, 1999