[XTalk] Re: Eunuchery for the sake of the kingdom of heaven

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 7, 1999
      At 06:36 PM 11/7/99 -0500, you wrote:

      > John where he takes off his garments and wraps a cloth around him.
      >What was he wearing in the inbetween?

      Your kidding right? He was wearing an undergarment under that tunic. To
      imply that he was prancing around as a nudie in some sort of exhibitionist
      way is to give in to the crassest sort of grotesque popularizing titillation
      imaginable. Soon I suppose you will tell us that he and the disciples were
      all gay and that they had an orgy that night- all of course without the
      least shred of textual or historical evidence.

      That Jewish men of the first century wore undergarments is an established
      fact. Where do you come up with this stuff Steve? Certainly not from
      familiarity with the evidence.

      Jim

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Jim West, ThD
      jwest@...
      http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
    • Davies
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 8, 1999
        Jim West wrote:

        > At 06:36 PM 11/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
        > >

        > > John where he takes off his garments and wraps a cloth around him.
        > >What was he wearing in the inbetween?
        >
        > Your kidding right? He was wearing an undergarment under that tunic. To
        > imply that he was prancing around as a nudie in some sort of exhibitionist
        > way is to give in to the crassest sort of grotesque popularizing titillation
        > imaginable. Soon I suppose you will tell us that he and the disciples were
        > all gay and that they had an orgy that night- all of course without the
        > least shred of textual or historical evidence.
        >
        > That Jewish men of the first century wore undergarments is an established
        > fact. Where do you come up with this stuff Steve? Certainly not from
        > familiarity with the evidence.
        >
        > Jim

        Gee. No sooner do I take Jim West from the "automatic delete" file along
        with Christ Thomas than we get this. Back he goes.

        Bible says "garments" plural were taken off. That would be more than
        one. Outer and inner. Cf. GTh 22.

        Steve
      • Jeff Peterson
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 10, 1999
          At 5:35 PM -0500 11/8/99, Davies wrote:

          >Bible says "garments" plural were taken off. That would be more than
          >one. Outer and inner. Cf. GTh 22.

          There's an interesting lexical question amid all the sensationalism on this
          thread. In English we talk about changing "clothes," and we do this even
          we're exchanging a jumpsuit for a night shirt; similarly, the term
          "undergarments" might well refer only to a pair of briefs or boxers (more
          plurals! -- because they have two openings for legs?) or to a corset or
          teddy (or whatever you call those things ladies wear that combine bra and
          panties). So was there such a usage in Greek? If so, then taking off one's
          hIMATIA, ESQHMATA, OR AMFIBLHMATA wouldn't necessarily leave one in the
          buff.

          Answering this would take more time in BAGD and LSJ than I can spare
          currently, so I'll content myself with being the gadfly -- though I cannot
          hope to match Steve in that department!

          Jeff

          Jeffrey Peterson
          Institute for Christian Studies