[XTalk] Re: Jesus and Celibacy (was: Eunuchery for the sake of thekingdom of heaven)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 1999
      Nathan McGovern wrote:

      > Jeff Gibson wrote:
      >

      > >Er .. could you please tell me what Jewish religious movements
      > >contemporaneous
      > >with early Christianity besides the Essenes (if indeed even they advocated
      > >what
      > >you claim, at least as a lifetime posture) emphasised/practiced/demanded
      > >celibacy?
      >
      > OK, you caught me. I made a bit of an overstatement. Actually, the
      > Essenes are the only group that we can be sure of advocating celibacy (and,
      > yes, I do maintain this claim based on War 2.8.13--I hope I'm not
      > misinterpreting it). There are other groups in the "seven Jewish
      > sects"--the ones that the Church Fathers can't agree on the identities
      > of--that may have advocated celibacy, but we can't know this for sure.

      Again, you might want to consult Phipps, _Was Jesus Married?_. His section on the
      reputed celibacy of the Essenes (pp. 29-32) undercuts the standard interpretation
      of statements of Philo, Pliny, and Josephus on the "fact" that the (major group of
      the) Essenes never married by showing that archaeological evidence (women's bones
      found in several cemeteries at Qumran), dictates within their writings (Damascus
      Document 7.6-9; Rule of the Congregation 1.6-11), the desire of the community to
      fulfil the all the commandments of the Law, of which marriage and procreation was
      a vital part, and that purity referred to in the War Scroll as demanded of the
      covenanters is ritual not "moral/sexual" purity, stand against the notion that
      the Essenes never married nor procreated.

      The case that Josephus, Philo, and Pliny did not know what they were talking about
      when they described the Essenes as unmarried and celibate is also argued by Abel
      Isaksson, _Marriage and Ministry in the New Temple_ (Lund, 1965) 55-56.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Chicago, Illinois 60626