[crosstalk2] Re: What about "Xtalk"?

  • Jan Sammer
    Message 1 of 15 , May 25, 1999
      Mark:

      >One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:

      >Thoughts?

      YES!

      Jan

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 15 , May 25, 1999
        One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:

        (1) We have abbreviated it this way in the past.

        (2) It effectively maintains the name of the group while at the same time
        introducing a necessary adjustment.

        (3) It is certainly preferable to "Crosstalk2".

        (4) It is shorter than "Crosstalk2" or "Historical_Jesus" or "H_Jesus" etc. so
        easier on the message subject headers. This is important in using E-groups
        since they add the square brackets subject header.

        (5) It is a little more ambiguous than "Crosstalk" because the X can be the X
        of the "cross" or the Chi of Christos.

        (6) We could maintain the subtitle "Historical Jesus and Christian Origins" if
        we want to.

        Thoughts?

        Mark
        --------------------------------------
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        Aseneth Home Page
        Recommended New Testament Web Resources
        Mark Without Q

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 15 , May 25, 1999
          Mark Goodacre wrote:

          > One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:

          I like it!

          Jack Kilmon
          jkilmon@...

          http://www.historian.net

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 15 , May 25, 1999
            At 07:15 AM 5/25/99 -0500, you wrote:

            >Mark Goodacre wrote:
            >>
            >> One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:
            >
            >I like it!

            It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
            out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.

            Best,

            Jim

            +++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Jim West, ThD
            email- jwest@...
            web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

            Message 5 of 15 , May 25, 1999
              Jim West wrote:

              > At 07:15 AM 5/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
              > >

              > >Mark Goodacre wrote:
              > >>
              > >> One thought: what about calling Crosstalk2 "Xtalk"? Advantages:
              > >
              > >I like it!
              >
              > It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
              > out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.

              Eeeeks! That's right! I never thought of that. "X" on the internet can get
              you some very unwanted material on a search. How about merely
              translating "Crosstalk" into a form recognized by most scholars?
              Kreutzsprache? Hey! Gimme a break..just ruminating <grin>

              Jack

              Jack Kilmon
              jkilmon@...

              http://www.historian.net

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
            • Felix Just, S.J.
              Message 6 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                Mark Goodacre wrote:

                > On 25 May 99 at 9:23, Jack Kilmon wrote, quoting Jim West
                >
                > > > It is, however, a bit ambiguous, and though no one else has pointed this
                > > > out, it may even be taken as a bawdy invitation.
                > >
                > > Eeeeks! That's right! I never thought of that. "X" on the internet can get
                > > you some very unwanted material on a search.
                >
                > Yes -- I hadn't thought of that either. Thanks Jim. OK -- drop that
                > suggestion!

                I respectfully disagree, and think Mark's idea of "XTalk" is the best, for all
                the reasons he mentioned in his initial post.

                Besides,
                a) don't you usually need three "X"s for that sort of stuff on the internet?
                b) if anyone stumbles upon our group based on a search for X, they won't want to
                or be able to join anyway (isn't our membership restricted?)
                c) if they did stumble upon our group looking for that sort of stuff, maybe
                they'll be converted encountering the real Jesus through our discussions (like
                the woman of John 8, even if that story is not HJ material!)

                But seriously, Mark's best point is that X refers both to "cross" (even
                without atonement theology, don't HJ scholars at least admit THAT Jesus was
                crucified?!?), and to "Christ" (from the Greek we all know).

                So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!

                Felix Just, S.J. -- Asst. Prof. of Theological Studies
                Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
                Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
                Web-Pages http://clawww.lmu.edu/faculty/fjust

                Message 7 of 15 , May 25, 1999

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                    Sam Gibson wrote:

                    > Hmmm... wouldn't that be a list about Paul?
                    >
                    > Sorry...just finished a Maccoby book...
                    > -
                    > Sincerely,
                    >
                    > Sam Gibson

                    Mythmaker? What did ya think?

                    Jack

                    Jack Kilmon
                    jkilmon@...

                    http://www.historian.net

                    eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                      Mark Goodacre wrote:

                      > I rather liked that point. I have never thought of the "cross" in Crosstalk as
                      > necessarily implying discussion of atonement theology and the like.
                      > >
                      > > So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!
                      >
                      > OK -- I re-instate my suggestion. The potential problem turns out not to be
                      > one. See how useful this consultation business can be?

                      How about Christian Origins, as suggested privately to me by Liz Fried?.

                      Jeffrey Gibson

                      --
                      Jeffrey B. Gibson
                      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                        I'm cool with the Xtalk..let's fly with it

                        Jack

                        Mark Goodacre wrote:

                        > On 25 May 99 at 11:17, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
                        >
                        > > How about Christian Origins, as suggested privately to me by Liz Fried?
                        >
                        > I think it moves things a little too far from the main "Historical Jesus"
                        > focus. If we were to go with Xtalk then we could keep the "Historical Jesus &
                        > Christian Origins" subtitle, couldn't we?
                        >
                        > Mark
                        > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                        > Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom
                        >
                        > http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                        > Aseneth Home Page
                        > Recommended New Testament Web Resources
                        > Mark Without Q

                        > FREE email Newsletters delivered right to your in-box.
                        > CNET, USAToday, RollingStone, and moreĀ…
                        > Click Here Now! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/314
                        >
                        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2

                        Jack Kilmon
                        jkilmon@...

                        http://www.historian.net

                        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/crosstalk2
                      • Sam Gibson
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 25, 1999

                          -----------------------------
                          cygnus@...
                          http://www.cygnus-study.com
                          -----------------------------

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                            My vote also is for "Xtalk: Historical Jesus and Christian Origins"
                            (great idea, Mark!).
                            It combines the best ideas so far: a short useable title, and an
                            explicitly clear sub-title.

                            Shall we take a poll?

                            If and when it's decided, then the list managers CAN automatically
                            transfer everyone over to the new list (not just "inviting" them), so
                            that no one else has to resubscribe or do anything else. (If you
                            haven't found the trick to how to make this work, Jeffrey, let me know
                            and I'll easily explain off-list.)

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                              On 25 May 99 at 8:57, Felix Just, S.J. wrote:

                              > I respectfully disagree, and think Mark's idea of "XTalk" is the best, for all
                              > the reasons he mentioned in his initial post.
                              >
                              > Besides,
                              > a) don't you usually need three "X"s for that sort of stuff on the internet?
                              > b) if anyone stumbles upon our group based on a search for X, they won't want
                              > to or be able to join anyway (isn't our membership restricted?) c) if they did
                              > stumble upon our group looking for that sort of stuff, maybe they'll be
                              > converted encountering the real Jesus through our discussions (like the woman
                              > of John 8, even if that story is not HJ material!)

                              Not knowing much about "that sort of stuff", I was probably more concerned than
                              I needed to be : ) So I did a search on dogpile (which searches all the major
                              search engines) for "Xtalk" and not a single dodgy site came up, either on
                              Lycos, Infoseek, Excite etc. etc. There is a "Xtalk.com" (predictably) but I
                              don't see that that need be a problem.

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 25, 1999
                                At 08:57 AM 5/25/99 -0700, you wrote:

                                >So Mark, please don't capitulate and drop your great idea too quickly!

                                Just for clarification- my purpose in pointing out the ambiguity of xtalk
                                was NOT to get Mark, or anyone, to change their mind. I simply wished to
                                point out that such a name will be quite misunderstood by the populum vulgarum.

                                back to listening only mode,

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 25, 1999