[XTalk] Re: CT and the origins of XTalk

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 1999
      jim west wrote:

      > At 11:38 AM 10/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >
      > >You'll also be able to see not only how much of a nut case this man was, but
      > >the whole course of events which led to my establishment of Xtalk as a
      > >moderated alternative to Crosstalk.

      [snip]

      > All of which is to set the record straight in historical matters--- between
      > the old CT and the new CT there was another list which was not burdened by
      > the ramblings of the uninformed. So, there was no straight line from the
      > old CT to the new.

      Apolgies to all concerned if I seemed to suggest that the line from the old to
      the new was straight or that I was the only one who made an effort to see that
      something of the old list survived when it was dying. Indeed, anyone who consults
      the archives will see, as Jim notes, that there were indeed side branches in the
      road from Crosstalk to XTalk, and that the road Jim tried to take was an
      important one

      But as long as we're setting the record straight, it should be noted that even
      before Jim took the **actual step** of starting up a (singlely, sp?) moderated
      Historical Jesus List as an alternative to Crosstalk, I had, at least a month
      prior to that event, begun to underscore on List sentiments expressed by a few
      other members of the old List, and both openly called for, and privately polled
      all Crosstalk members except CT about the desirability of, a transition of
      Crosstalk from an unmoderated to a moderated forum -- only, curiously, to be
      disparaged publicly for even suggesting that this should take place. If I
      recall correctly, this very reaction, along with CT's continuing abusive response
      to my insistence that he stay on topic, was what led Jim to say enough was enough
      and to initiate his List.

      In any case, any criticism made of Jim for doing so was totally unwarranted.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Chicago, Illinois 60626