[XTalk] Psalm 107

  • Philip B Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 1999
      On Oct 23 Nathan McGovern wrote:

      >There is a fascinating post in the archives dealing the relationship of the
      >story of the Gerasene demoniac and three other stories in Mark to Psalm
      >107. You should be able to find the post by going to the Crosstalk2
      >archives and using the word "Gerasene" in the search box. Basically, the
      >theory is that a few of Mark's miracle stories correspond to God's great
      >deeds in Psalm 107.

      Yes, that is my posting. It incorporates an article I had written several
      years ago for the quarterly of Christian Theological Seminary, Butler
      university, Indianapolis, IN, entitled, _Indications of a Liturgical Source
      in the Gospel Sccording to Mark_. The first 32 verses of Ps.107 were used,
      according to E. Schmidt, in the service as votive offerings were presented
      in the Temple at Rush Hashana. The four stories Nathan referred to were
      gathered together by an enterprising author into Mark's "Boat Source." The
      story of the Gerasene Demoniac could very well be interpreted as
      incorporating the idea of the expulsion of Rome (the Legion) from Palestine
      as The Way of Jesus took possession of the Gentile world. Far fetched? I
      think not.

      -phil@...
      Philip B. Lewis HR (Presby. Plains & Peaks)
      754-B Sawmill Cove
      Cottonwood, AZ 86326