[XTalk] Faith or Works

  • Jimi Fosdick
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 1999
      I am curious about the apparent controversy between the author of James and
      Paul as exemplified by the following passages (incidentally I apologize if
      my transliteration is not standard I'm just learning ancient greek):

      Ephesians

      2:8 th gar cariti este seswsmenoi dia pistews kai
      touto ouk ex umwn qeou to dwron

      For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is
      the gift
      of God:

      2:9 ouk ex ergwn ina mh tis kauchshtai
      Not of works, lest any man should boast.

      James

      2:24 orate oti ex ergwn dikaioutai anqrwpos kai ouk
      ek pistews monon

      Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

      As I see it the main question in my mind is the difference between
      SESWSMENOI and DIKAIOUTAI. traditionally (or at least in the KJV) these are
      translated respectively as "Saved" and "Justified". Are these translations
      literal? What is the difference in connotation. I ask because if salvation
      is different than justification, there may not be any real controversy aside
      minor differences in the importance of works, however if one can equivocate
      the two this seems to be more directly contradictory. What are the thoughts
      of list members who are more conversant in ancient greek?

      Jimi Fosdick
      Wheaton, IL

      "Philosophy is a field of study designed to keep dangerously incompetant
      people in the University, and away from sharp objects and moving
      machinery."