OFFLIST: Volunteer Proofreader for Latin of Irenaeus' Against Heresies

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2013
      Hello,

      I recently became frustrated by the lack of a digitized text of the Latin translation of Irenaeus' _Against Heresies_ online.

      The original Greek text of this author has survived only in fragments (which, oddly enough, are readily available online). The only complete or nearly complete manuscripts are of a very literal but crude Latin translation made so soon after the work was originally written that Tertullian quotes from it.

      Recently, I scanned the Latin Text from W. Wigan Harvey's _Libros quinque adversus haereses_ (2 volumes, 1857) using ABBYY FineReader 11.

      The OCR software reads Latin and even offers dictionary support for the language, but it had problems scanning ligatures used in the printed text (ae, oe), the letters "a," "e," "s," and numerous words that are not in its Latin dictionary.

      The result was a lot of scanning errors. While I have removed the obvious ones (like garbled text or odd symbols), I am not a reader in Latin. My reviews have caught some spelling errors, but I am confident there are numerous others.

      If anyone here has an interest in volunteering to help create a digitized critical text of the Latin translation of Irenaeus' _Adversus Haereses_, please contact me off-list. My intention is to make it freely available online.

      The scans are in MS Word 2003 format. If that offends, I could save the text in RTF format. Harvey's two volumes are available in the Internet Archives (about 25 megs each, Google image files only) for comparison.

      Thanks!

      David C Hindley