Mark 2:9 and and 2 Kings 20:9

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16 1:45 PM
      Some years ago I noted that in within Mk. 2:1-12 Mark has cast Jesus'
      offer to make something happen in such a way as to call to mind the
      similar offer on the part of Isaiah in the ‘sign' story of the healing
      of Hezekiah in 2 Kngs 20.1-11.

      > Jesus, like Isaiah, points out two courses of action that he is
      > willing to take to meet the skepticism that he has encountered on
      > account of his proclamation (cp. Mark 2.9 with 2 Kngs 20.9). Also, as
      > does Isaiah, Jesus allows the decision as to which course of action he
      > is to take to be made for him. Finally, note the verbal resemblance
      > between Jesus' question in Mark 2.9, ‘Which is easier ... ?' (τί ἐστιν
      > εὐκοπώτερον, κτλ.) and Hezekiah's remark in the LXX of 2 Kngs 20.10,
      > ‘It is easy ... ' (Καὶ επεν ̓Εζέκιας, κοφων, κτλ.).

      I also noted that so far as I knew, there appears to be no other scholar
      besides T.R. Hobbs (2 Kings [Waco: Word Incorporated, 1985] 293)who has
      appreciated, let alone noticed, the correspondence between the two texts.

      I'm wondering now if anyone here knows of anyone else besides Hobbs who
      has seen and noted this correspondence.

      With thanks in advance for any help you can give with this.

      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd
      Chicago, IL