Re: SV: [XTalk] forgive us our sins in LP/DP

  • David Mealand
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
      Not at all recent, but on the wider context in Judaism
      there are some collected passages in C.G.Montefiore,
      Rabbinic Anthology, Ch. 19, pp. 460-469 on forgiveness towards
      others. The book was on the shelf next to my desk so
      provided some instant prompts.

      David M.

      ---------
      David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
    • Thomas L. Thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2013
        Just that forgiveness of sins is motif which has a context essentially connected to exile/return themes-
        The OT moves its discourse on punishing the sinner alone (a theme already in the Gilgamesh epic and Hittite
        literature) to a final solution with the forgiveness of sins. In the OT it is always Yahweh who needs to change, not men.

        Thomas

        Thomas L. Thompson
        Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen