forgive us our sins in LP/DP

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
      Just wondering out loud if the use of our in the LP/DP petition for the
      forgiveness of sins has any significance -- i.e., that it is the
      remission of the particular "sins" of the disciples /as a group/, not,
      as is usually supposed, those of each member therein ("forgive each of
      us our individual sins") that is the object of the petition.

      Is there any resonance here with Tom Wright's idea that "forgiveness of
      sins" means "end of exile"?

      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd
      Chicago, IL
      jgibson000@...

    • Thomas L. Thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
        It is a well recognized understanding in OT studies. See 1 Kings 8:33-34.
        Thomas

        Thomas L. Thompson
        Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen.
        Just wondering out loud if the use of our in the LP/DP petition for the
        forgiveness of sins has any significance -- i.e., that it is the
        remission of the particular "sins" of the disciples /as a group/, not,
        as is usually supposed, those of each member therein ("forgive each of
        us our individual sins") that is the object of the petition.

        Is there any resonance here with Tom Wright's idea that "forgiveness of
        sins" means "end of exile"?

        ---
        Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd
        Chicago, IL
        jgibson000@...<mailto:jgibson000%40comcast.net>

      • Jgibson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
          On 4/19/2013 9:08 AM, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:
          > It is a well recognized understanding in OT studies. See 1 Kings 8:33-34.
          > Thomas

          Thomas,

          Thanks for this. But I am unclear on what you are telling me. WHAT is
          a recognized understanding?

          ---
          Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd
          Chicago, IL
          jgibson000@...
        • David Mealand
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
            Not at all recent, but on the wider context in Judaism
            there are some collected passages in C.G.Montefiore,
            Rabbinic Anthology, Ch. 19, pp. 460-469 on forgiveness towards
            others. The book was on the shelf next to my desk so
            provided some instant prompts.

            David M.

            ---------
            David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

            Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
          • Thomas L. Thompson
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 20, 2013
              Just that forgiveness of sins is motif which has a context essentially connected to exile/return themes-
              The OT moves its discourse on punishing the sinner alone (a theme already in the Gilgamesh epic and Hittite
              literature) to a final solution with the forgiveness of sins. In the OT it is always Yahweh who needs to change, not men.

              Thomas

              Thomas L. Thompson
              Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen

              On 4/19/2013 9:08 AM, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:
              > It is a well recognized understanding in OT studies. See 1 Kings 8:33-34.
              > Thomas

              Thomas,

              Thanks for this. But I am unclear on what you are telling me. WHAT is
              a recognized understanding?

              ---
              Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
              1500 W. Pratt Blvd