Re: [XTalk] Bob Schacht

  • philip maertens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
      I don't have words to describe my feelings. His contributions were always a
      pleasure to read. All my thoughts to his family, friends and collegues who
      had the chance to know him.

      Philip Maertens
      Algarve, Portugal

      On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
      > scholarship will be missed.
      >
      > Jack Kilmon
      > Houston, TX

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        This is indeed very sad news. Several of us were lucky enough to meet him
        at one of the SBLs, but it's his online presence that made him unique. I
        think that Bob somehow just "got" the e-list, and especially Xtalk. He
        understood it as a medium better than any of us, and he pioneered the
        thoughtful, probing e-list post. He was always eager to learn, but at the
        same time he could get to the heart of the matter pretty quickly. He
        understood that good academic conversation is about listening and
        attempting to understand others' views and, where necessary, going away and
        doing more research rather than grand-standing and pontificating. I wish
        there were more like him. We're worse off without Bob.

        --
        Mark Goodacre
        Duke University

        http://www.markgoodacre.org

      • Stephen Goranson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
          Yes, Bob Schacht was a good virtual neighbor.

          Stephen Goranson