RE: [XTalk] Bob Schacht

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
      I just tuned in, and am very saddened that we have lost Bob. He could always be counted on for thoughtful posts, and often a moderating influence on discussions.

      mark

      Mark A. Matson
      Milligan College
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        I don't have words to describe my feelings. His contributions were always a
        pleasure to read. All my thoughts to his family, friends and collegues who
        had the chance to know him.

        Philip Maertens
        Algarve, Portugal

        On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
        > scholarship will be missed.
        >
        > Jack Kilmon
        > Houston, TX

      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          This is indeed very sad news. Several of us were lucky enough to meet him
          at one of the SBLs, but it's his online presence that made him unique. I
          think that Bob somehow just "got" the e-list, and especially Xtalk. He
          understood it as a medium better than any of us, and he pioneered the
          thoughtful, probing e-list post. He was always eager to learn, but at the
          same time he could get to the heart of the matter pretty quickly. He
          understood that good academic conversation is about listening and
          attempting to understand others' views and, where necessary, going away and
          doing more research rather than grand-standing and pontificating. I wish
          there were more like him. We're worse off without Bob.

          --
          Mark Goodacre
          Duke University

          http://www.markgoodacre.org

        • Stephen Goranson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
            Yes, Bob Schacht was a good virtual neighbor.

            Stephen Goranson