Re: [XTalk] Bob Schacht

  • Jared Nuzzolillo
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
      Rest in peace. Bob's contributions will be missed. My prayers go out to his
      family and loved ones.

      - Jared Nuzzolillo

      On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
      >
      > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
      > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
      > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
      >
      > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
      > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
      > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
      > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable
      > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met
      > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
      > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
      > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
      > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be
      > diminished by his absence.
      >
      > best regards, all,
      > Bill

    • Matson, Mark (Academic)
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        I just tuned in, and am very saddened that we have lost Bob. He could always be counted on for thoughtful posts, and often a moderating influence on discussions.

        mark

        Mark A. Matson
        Milligan College
[...]

        List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • philip maertens
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          I don't have words to describe my feelings. His contributions were always a
          pleasure to read. All my thoughts to his family, friends and collegues who
          had the chance to know him.

          Philip Maertens
          Algarve, Portugal

          On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
          > scholarship will be missed.
          >
          > Jack Kilmon
          > Houston, TX

        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
            This is indeed very sad news. Several of us were lucky enough to meet him
            at one of the SBLs, but it's his online presence that made him unique. I
            think that Bob somehow just "got" the e-list, and especially Xtalk. He
            understood it as a medium better than any of us, and he pioneered the
            thoughtful, probing e-list post. He was always eager to learn, but at the
            same time he could get to the heart of the matter pretty quickly. He
            understood that good academic conversation is about listening and
            attempting to understand others' views and, where necessary, going away and
            doing more research rather than grand-standing and pontificating. I wish
            there were more like him. We're worse off without Bob.

            --
            Mark Goodacre
            Duke University

            http://www.markgoodacre.org

          • Stephen Goranson
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
              Yes, Bob Schacht was a good virtual neighbor.

              Stephen Goranson