Re: [XTalk] Bob Schacht

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
      Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I never met Bob, but feel I've known him half my life. I'll miss him deeply.

      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        I found out last night on Facebook, and it was a big 'ouch.' I joined Crosstalk in 2000, using it as a seminar group when I began studying part-time for my MTh. A number of names stood out for me as a newbie, as regular contributors and good people to learn with. Bob was always there, always thoughtful, balanced, reasonable, welcoming. When Crosstalk and other email groups faded a bit and the blogs became the central arena of discussion, I found him on FB, and he became a good virtual friend. I have never been able to travel to any of the academic gatherings across the Atlantic, so many of you have remained names (and since FB, photo images) - I never met Bob, and I wish I had, because I felt that I knew him, and always enjoyed his contributions.

        This is all so sudden, and even though there is never a right time to lose someone, this time of year feels more wrong than most. His family, friends, and close colleagues must be reeling. They are in the prayers of all of us who do pray, I'm sure, and Bob stays in our hearts as a friend and colleague whose musings have always been of benefit. Even if he was inexplicably fond of bluegrass.

        May he rest in peace, and rise in glory.

        Rev Tony Buglass
        Methodist Minister,
        Calderdale Methodist Circuit

      • Jgibson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          On 1/1/2013 4:27 PM, Loren Rosson wrote:
          > Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I never met Bob, but feel I've known him half my life. I'll miss him deeply.

          He was a kind and gentle man. Like Stephen, I'm glad of having had the
          chance to meet him.

          He will be missed.

          ---
          Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd
          Chicago, IL
          jgibson000@...
        • Jared Nuzzolillo
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
            Rest in peace. Bob's contributions will be missed. My prayers go out to his
            family and loved ones.

            - Jared Nuzzolillo

            On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
            >
            > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
            > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
            > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
            >
            > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
            > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
            > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
            > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable
            > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met
            > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
            > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
            > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
            > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be
            > diminished by his absence.
            >
            > best regards, all,
            > Bill

          • Matson, Mark (Academic)
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
              I just tuned in, and am very saddened that we have lost Bob. He could always be counted on for thoughtful posts, and often a moderating influence on discussions.

              mark

              Mark A. Matson
              Milligan College
[...]

              List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • philip maertens
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                I don't have words to describe my feelings. His contributions were always a
                pleasure to read. All my thoughts to his family, friends and collegues who
                had the chance to know him.

                Philip Maertens
                Algarve, Portugal

                On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
                > scholarship will be missed.
                >
                > Jack Kilmon
                > Houston, TX

              • Mark Goodacre
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                  This is indeed very sad news. Several of us were lucky enough to meet him
                  at one of the SBLs, but it's his online presence that made him unique. I
                  think that Bob somehow just "got" the e-list, and especially Xtalk. He
                  understood it as a medium better than any of us, and he pioneered the
                  thoughtful, probing e-list post. He was always eager to learn, but at the
                  same time he could get to the heart of the matter pretty quickly. He
                  understood that good academic conversation is about listening and
                  attempting to understand others' views and, where necessary, going away and
                  doing more research rather than grand-standing and pontificating. I wish
                  there were more like him. We're worse off without Bob.

                  --
                  Mark Goodacre
                  Duke University

                  http://www.markgoodacre.org

                • Stephen Goranson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                    Yes, Bob Schacht was a good virtual neighbor.

                    Stephen Goranson