Re: [XTalk] Bob Schacht

  • Jeff Peterson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
      I will miss interacting with Bob. His posts were always thoughtful and
      raised good questions, and he struck me as one of the folks you meet on the
      Internet you wish you could have gotten to know in person. RIP.

      Jeff Peterson

      On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Stephen Carlson <stemmatic@...>wrote:

      > This is very sad news, but thanks for sharing it. I can't believe how long
      > its been since we all got together on the original mailing list and his
      > presence was one of the reasons why it was so edifying. I will miss him
      > very much, treasuring the one time we had lunch together in the flesh.
      >
      > Stephen
      >
      > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
      > >
      > > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
      > > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
      > > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
      > >
      > > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
      > > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
      > > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
      > > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and
      > indefatigable
      > > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever
      > met
      > > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
      > > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
      > > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
      > > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will
      > be
      > > diminished by his absence.
      > >
      > > best regards, all,
      > > Bill
      > >

      > --
      > --
      > Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
      > Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala

      > List managers may be contacted directly at:
      > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        Requiescat in pace, Bob.

        Jeffery Hodges

        Ewha Womans University
        Seoul, South Korea

        On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
        >
        > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
        > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
        > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
        >
        > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
        > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
        > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
        > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable
        > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met
        > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
        > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
        > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
        > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be
        > diminished by his absence.
        >
        > best regards, all,
        > Bill

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
          scholarship will be missed.

          Jack Kilmon
          Houston, TX

[...]

          List managers may be contacted directly at:
          crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Loren Rosson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
            Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I never met Bob, but feel I've known him half my life. I'll miss him deeply.

            Loren Rosson III
            Nashua NH
            http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
              I found out last night on Facebook, and it was a big 'ouch.' I joined Crosstalk in 2000, using it as a seminar group when I began studying part-time for my MTh. A number of names stood out for me as a newbie, as regular contributors and good people to learn with. Bob was always there, always thoughtful, balanced, reasonable, welcoming. When Crosstalk and other email groups faded a bit and the blogs became the central arena of discussion, I found him on FB, and he became a good virtual friend. I have never been able to travel to any of the academic gatherings across the Atlantic, so many of you have remained names (and since FB, photo images) - I never met Bob, and I wish I had, because I felt that I knew him, and always enjoyed his contributions.

              This is all so sudden, and even though there is never a right time to lose someone, this time of year feels more wrong than most. His family, friends, and close colleagues must be reeling. They are in the prayers of all of us who do pray, I'm sure, and Bob stays in our hearts as a friend and colleague whose musings have always been of benefit. Even if he was inexplicably fond of bluegrass.

              May he rest in peace, and rise in glory.

              Rev Tony Buglass
              Methodist Minister,
              Calderdale Methodist Circuit

            • Jgibson
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                On 1/1/2013 4:27 PM, Loren Rosson wrote:
                > Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I never met Bob, but feel I've known him half my life. I'll miss him deeply.

                He was a kind and gentle man. Like Stephen, I'm glad of having had the
                chance to meet him.

                He will be missed.

                ---
                Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
                1500 W. Pratt Blvd
                Chicago, IL
                jgibson000@...
              • Jared Nuzzolillo
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Rest in peace. Bob's contributions will be missed. My prayers go out to his
                  family and loved ones.

                  - Jared Nuzzolillo

                  On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
                  >
                  > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
                  > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
                  > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
                  >
                  > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
                  > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
                  > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
                  > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable
                  > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met
                  > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
                  > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
                  > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
                  > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be
                  > diminished by his absence.
                  >
                  > best regards, all,
                  > Bill

                • Matson, Mark (Academic)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                    I just tuned in, and am very saddened that we have lost Bob. He could always be counted on for thoughtful posts, and often a moderating influence on discussions.

                    mark

                    Mark A. Matson
                    Milligan College
[...]

                    List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • philip maertens
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                      I don't have words to describe my feelings. His contributions were always a
                      pleasure to read. All my thoughts to his family, friends and collegues who
                      had the chance to know him.

                      Philip Maertens
                      Algarve, Portugal

                      On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
                      > scholarship will be missed.
                      >
                      > Jack Kilmon
                      > Houston, TX

                    • Mark Goodacre
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                        This is indeed very sad news. Several of us were lucky enough to meet him
                        at one of the SBLs, but it's his online presence that made him unique. I
                        think that Bob somehow just "got" the e-list, and especially Xtalk. He
                        understood it as a medium better than any of us, and he pioneered the
                        thoughtful, probing e-list post. He was always eager to learn, but at the
                        same time he could get to the heart of the matter pretty quickly. He
                        understood that good academic conversation is about listening and
                        attempting to understand others' views and, where necessary, going away and
                        doing more research rather than grand-standing and pontificating. I wish
                        there were more like him. We're worse off without Bob.

                        --
                        Mark Goodacre
                        Duke University

                        http://www.markgoodacre.org

                      • Stephen Goranson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                          Yes, Bob Schacht was a good virtual neighbor.

                          Stephen Goranson