Bob Schacht

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):

      I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.

      I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years. Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be diminished by his absence.

      best regards, all,
      Bill
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
        Bill,

        Thanks for letting us know. May he Rest in Peace.

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC

        On Jan 1, 2013, at 10:37 AM, William Arnal wrote:

        > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
        >
        > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night
        > that our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the
        > precise details, but my impression is that it was at home, and
        > relatively sudden.
        >
        > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-
        > line presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means
        > some of us have been talking to him about Christian origins for
        > almost twenty years. Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his
        > arguments, and indefatigable in his commitment to conversation on
        > these lists. I do not think I ever met Bob face to face in all this
        > time, so for me, at least, this has been a relationship undertaken
        > completely on-line, first via email lists, then facebook as well.
        > Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of long-standing and
        > substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be diminished
        > by his absence.
        >
        > best regards, all,
        > Bill

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ken Olson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          Bill,

          Thanks for passing on the sad news. Like many contributors, I will miss Bob's presence on Crosstalk greatly. I didn't always agree with him, but I was always impressed by the time and effort he put into engaging thoughtfully with other people's ideas on an amazingly wide variety of subjects.

          Best wishes to all,

          Ken

          To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com; gthomas@yahoogroups.com
          From: warnal@...
          Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 09:37:04 -0600
          Subject: [XTalk] Bob Schacht

[...]

          ______________________

          William Arnal

          University of Regina

        • Stephen Carlson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
            This is very sad news, but thanks for sharing it. I can't believe how long
            its been since we all got together on the original mailing list and his
            presence was one of the reasons why it was so edifying. I will miss him
            very much, treasuring the one time we had lunch together in the flesh.

            Stephen

            On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
            >
            > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
            > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
            > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
            >
            > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
            > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
            > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
            > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable
            > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met
            > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
            > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
            > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
            > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be
            > diminished by his absence.
            >
            > best regards, all,
            > Bill

            Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
            Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala

          • Jeff Peterson
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
              I will miss interacting with Bob. His posts were always thoughtful and
              raised good questions, and he struck me as one of the folks you meet on the
              Internet you wish you could have gotten to know in person. RIP.

              Jeff Peterson

              On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Stephen Carlson <stemmatic@...>wrote:

              > This is very sad news, but thanks for sharing it. I can't believe how long
              > its been since we all got together on the original mailing list and his
              > presence was one of the reasons why it was so edifying. I will miss him
              > very much, treasuring the one time we had lunch together in the flesh.
              >
              > Stephen
              >
              > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
              > >
              > > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
              > > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
              > > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
              > >
              > > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
              > > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
              > > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
              > > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and
              > indefatigable
              > > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever
              > met
              > > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
              > > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
              > > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
              > > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will
              > be
              > > diminished by his absence.
              > >
              > > best regards, all,
              > > Bill
              > >

              > --
              > --
              > Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
              > Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala

              > List managers may be contacted directly at:
              > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            • Horace Jeffery Hodges
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                Requiescat in pace, Bob.

                Jeffery Hodges

                Ewha Womans University
                Seoul, South Korea

                On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
                >
                > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
                > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
                > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
                >
                > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
                > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
                > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
                > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable
                > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met
                > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
                > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
                > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
                > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be
                > diminished by his absence.
                >
                > best regards, all,
                > Bill

              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                  I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
                  scholarship will be missed.

                  Jack Kilmon
                  Houston, TX

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                    Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I never met Bob, but feel I've known him half my life. I'll miss him deeply.

                    Loren Rosson III
                    Nashua NH
                    http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                      I found out last night on Facebook, and it was a big 'ouch.' I joined Crosstalk in 2000, using it as a seminar group when I began studying part-time for my MTh. A number of names stood out for me as a newbie, as regular contributors and good people to learn with. Bob was always there, always thoughtful, balanced, reasonable, welcoming. When Crosstalk and other email groups faded a bit and the blogs became the central arena of discussion, I found him on FB, and he became a good virtual friend. I have never been able to travel to any of the academic gatherings across the Atlantic, so many of you have remained names (and since FB, photo images) - I never met Bob, and I wish I had, because I felt that I knew him, and always enjoyed his contributions.

                      This is all so sudden, and even though there is never a right time to lose someone, this time of year feels more wrong than most. His family, friends, and close colleagues must be reeling. They are in the prayers of all of us who do pray, I'm sure, and Bob stays in our hearts as a friend and colleague whose musings have always been of benefit. Even if he was inexplicably fond of bluegrass.

                      May he rest in peace, and rise in glory.

                      Rev Tony Buglass
                      Methodist Minister,
                      Calderdale Methodist Circuit

                    • Jgibson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                        On 1/1/2013 4:27 PM, Loren Rosson wrote:
                        > Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I never met Bob, but feel I've known him half my life. I'll miss him deeply.

                        He was a kind and gentle man. Like Stephen, I'm glad of having had the
                        chance to meet him.

                        He will be missed.

                        ---
                        Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
                        1500 W. Pratt Blvd
                        Chicago, IL
                        jgibson000@...
                      • Jared Nuzzolillo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                          Rest in peace. Bob's contributions will be missed. My prayers go out to his
                          family and loved ones.

                          - Jared Nuzzolillo

                          On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM, William Arnal <warnal@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):
                          >
                          > I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that
                          > our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise
                          > details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.
                          >
                          > I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line
                          > presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us
                          > have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years.
                          > Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable
                          > in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met
                          > Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a
                          > relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then
                          > facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of
                          > long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be
                          > diminished by his absence.
                          >
                          > best regards, all,
                          > Bill

                        • Matson, Mark (Academic)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                            I just tuned in, and am very saddened that we have lost Bob. He could always be counted on for thoughtful posts, and often a moderating influence on discussions.

                            mark

                            Mark A. Matson
                            Milligan College
[...]

                            List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                          • philip maertens
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                              I don't have words to describe my feelings. His contributions were always a
                              pleasure to read. All my thoughts to his family, friends and collegues who
                              had the chance to know him.

                              Philip Maertens
                              Algarve, Portugal

                              On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
                              > scholarship will be missed.
                              >
                              > Jack Kilmon
                              > Houston, TX

                            • Mark Goodacre
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
                                This is indeed very sad news. Several of us were lucky enough to meet him
                                at one of the SBLs, but it's his online presence that made him unique. I
                                think that Bob somehow just "got" the e-list, and especially Xtalk. He
                                understood it as a medium better than any of us, and he pioneered the
                                thoughtful, probing e-list post. He was always eager to learn, but at the
                                same time he could get to the heart of the matter pretty quickly. He
                                understood that good academic conversation is about listening and
                                attempting to understand others' views and, where necessary, going away and
                                doing more research rather than grand-standing and pontificating. I wish
                                there were more like him. We're worse off without Bob.

                                --
                                Mark Goodacre
                                Duke University

                                http://www.markgoodacre.org

                              • Stephen Goranson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                                  Yes, Bob Schacht was a good virtual neighbor.

                                  Stephen Goranson