Re: [XTalk] Variant in Lukan version of LP

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jgibson
      Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:28 AM
      To: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com ; biblical-studies
      Subject: [XTalk] Variant in Lukan version of LP

      As many of you know, a small number of witnesses to the text of Lk.
      11:2 testify that the second petition in the Lukan version of the
      version of the LP read not "May your Kingdom come" but "May your Holy
      Spirit come upon us and purify us".

      I'm wondering how one should assess this variant. Is it original? Is it
      commentary on what the kingdom petition is all about? Or is it
      something else?.

      Any thoughts?

      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd
      Chicago, IL
      jgibson000@...

      The three petitions. "Holy be YOUR name" and "Let come YOUR kingdom" and
      "Let be done YOUR will" are each consistently FOR God while that variant is
      what some scribe figures is going to happen to US if the KoG did come. I
      don't know which mss it is but it, unlike the rest of the prayer, doesn't
      appear (I need to see the actual Greek) to have Aramaic structure. I think
      it's scribal fancy.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      Houston, TX