Variant in Lukan version of LP

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
      As many of you know, a small number of witnesses to the text of Lk.
      11:2 testify that the second petition in the Lukan version of the
      version of the LP read not "May your Kingdom come" but "May your Holy
      Spirit come upon us and purify us".

      I'm wondering how one should assess this variant. Is it original? Is it
      commentary on what the kingdom petition is all about? Or is it
      something else?.

      Any thoughts?

      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd
      Chicago, IL
      jgibson000@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
        At 08:28 AM 11/28/2012, Jgibson wrote:
        >As many of you know, a small number of witnesses to the text of Lk.
        >11:2 testify that the second petition in the Lukan version of the
        >version of the LP read not "May your Kingdom come" but "May your Holy
        >Spirit come upon us and purify us".
        >
        >I'm wondering how one should assess this variant. Is it original? Is it
        >commentary on what the kingdom petition is all about? Or is it
        >something else?.

        How about another alternative? That these two versions are both
        original, but with different factions within the followers of Jesus?
        e.g., between the zealots who may have been allied with Bar Kochba on
        the one hand, and the pentecostals of Acts and Paul on the other hand?

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
          As many of you know, a small number of witnesses to the text of Lk.
          11:2 testify that the second petition in the Lukan version of the
          version of the LP read not "May your Kingdom come" but "May your Holy
          Spirit come upon us and purify us".

          I'm wondering how one should assess this variant. Is it original? Is it
          commentary on what the kingdom petition is all about? Or is it
          something else?.

          Any thoughts?

          ---
          Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd
          Chicago, IL
          jgibson000@...

          The three petitions. "Holy be YOUR name" and "Let come YOUR kingdom" and
          "Let be done YOUR will" are each consistently FOR God while that variant is
          what some scribe figures is going to happen to US if the KoG did come. I
          don't know which mss it is but it, unlike the rest of the prayer, doesn't
          appear (I need to see the actual Greek) to have Aramaic structure. I think
          it's scribal fancy.

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          Houston, TX