Re: [XTalk] Gospel Commentaries

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
      Gary,

      Let me put in the good word for "The Five Gospels" and "The Acts of
      Jesus" from the Jesus Seminar. Not all on this list think that "the
      Marginal Jew" is the be all and end all of historical Jesus research.
      And for a fair contrast to such as Allison, Keener, etc., one needs to
      read the works of the Jesus Seminar.

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC
      On Aug 17, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Matson, Mark (Academic) wrote:

      > On source criticism, not any of them. REally the commentary genre
      > is a real problem here -- tends to be stuck in an old paradigm. And
      > I think Jeff's comment about historical Jesus issues is spot on:
      > Marginal Jew is simply the best (and can be mined for just a tone of
      > information about various issues in the gospels).

    • Steven Deedon
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2012
        I suggest complementing the AB with new Hermeneia volumes: Adela Collins on
        Mark, Francois Bovon on Luke (the second volume, originally in French, not
        published in English yet). Harry Attridge,who is the General Editor of the
        series, has taken up the task to write the Hermeneia commentary on John.

        Steve

        Steven Deedon
        New Haven, CT
        stevendeedon@...
        http://stevendeedon.wordpress.com

        "Openness is all." - Thomas Merton, in "Recollections of Thomas Merton's
        Last Days in the West," Brother David Steindl-Rast.

      • Gary Greenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2012
          Thanks to all those who replied.
          Gary

          Gary Greenberg
        • David Mealand
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 25, 2012
            Interesting that Marginal Jew and the
            Five Gospels feature as they do in the
            recent exchanges.

            Would someone care to list 6 or more items in
            particular they would rate as the most significant
            places where the two differ over whether something
            should, or should not, be assigned to "stage 1" of
            the tradition, or point to such a list if someone
            has already produced one? The list might need to
            make adjustments to allow for the cases where a
            judgement is made that "p was not said, but
            something very like it may well have been said"
            or something similar.

            David M.

            ---------
            David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

            Scotland, with registration number SC005336.