RE: [XTalk] Gospel Commentaries

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
      On source criticism, not any of them. REally the commentary genre is a real problem here -- tends to be stuck in an old paradigm. And I think Jeff's comment about historical Jesus issues is spot on: Marginal Jew is simply the best (and can be mined for just a tone of information about various issues in the gospels).

      But I am going to assume you are looking for the best historical-critical commentaries that have loads of good material about the setting, etc., including sources but also form-critical / redaction critical issues etc. So here goes my choices:

      1. On Mark, I would use Joel Marcus in the Anchor Bible series. (best overall is a lit-crit commentary, Sowing the Gospel)

      2. On Luke, probably the best overall remains Joe Fitzmyer's two volume in Anchor Bible, even though it's dated. A good companion would be Joel Green's volume in the NICNT. For the Farrer approach on sources, it's Goulder's work, A New Paradigm, but aside from the source issue it is not that helpful (in my opinion).

      3. On Matthew, I would use Dale Allison and W.D. Davies three volume work in the ICC series. As a more recent backup from a slightly different tack (but with loads of references to ancient materials) I would use Craig Keener's volume on Matthew.

      4. On John, a bit more difficult because of a bias in the main commentaries on the historical background. But I would say Rudolf Schnackenburg's 3 volume series. Again perhaps augmented by Keener's fine 2 volume work. For good historical perspectives, the various volumes from the SBL on John, Jesus and History -- while seminar papers and not commentary -- are invaluable for updating and giving perspective on the commentaries.

      Mark A. Matson
      Milligan College
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
        Gary,

        Let me put in the good word for "The Five Gospels" and "The Acts of
        Jesus" from the Jesus Seminar. Not all on this list think that "the
        Marginal Jew" is the be all and end all of historical Jesus research.
        And for a fair contrast to such as Allison, Keener, etc., one needs to
        read the works of the Jesus Seminar.

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC
        On Aug 17, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Matson, Mark (Academic) wrote:

        > On source criticism, not any of them. REally the commentary genre
        > is a real problem here -- tends to be stuck in an old paradigm. And
        > I think Jeff's comment about historical Jesus issues is spot on:
        > Marginal Jew is simply the best (and can be mined for just a tone of
        > information about various issues in the gospels).

      • Steven Deedon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2012
          I suggest complementing the AB with new Hermeneia volumes: Adela Collins on
          Mark, Francois Bovon on Luke (the second volume, originally in French, not
          published in English yet). Harry Attridge,who is the General Editor of the
          series, has taken up the task to write the Hermeneia commentary on John.

          Steve

          Steven Deedon
          New Haven, CT
          stevendeedon@...
          http://stevendeedon.wordpress.com

          "Openness is all." - Thomas Merton, in "Recollections of Thomas Merton's
          Last Days in the West," Brother David Steindl-Rast.

        • Gary Greenberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2012
            Thanks to all those who replied.
            Gary

            Gary Greenberg
          • David Mealand
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 25, 2012
              Interesting that Marginal Jew and the
              Five Gospels feature as they do in the
              recent exchanges.

              Would someone care to list 6 or more items in
              particular they would rate as the most significant
              places where the two differ over whether something
              should, or should not, be assigned to "stage 1" of
              the tradition, or point to such a list if someone
              has already produced one? The list might need to
              make adjustments to allow for the cases where a
              judgement is made that "p was not said, but
              something very like it may well have been said"
              or something similar.

              David M.

              ---------
              David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

              Scotland, with registration number SC005336.