Gospel Commentaries

  • Gary Greenberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
      Would any members of thee group be kind enough to suggest for each (or any) of the Gospels what they consider to be the best commentaries for the purposes of source criticism and/or historicity?
      Thanks
      Gary Greenberg
      NYC

      Web site: Bible Myth and History

      Author of the following books

      101 Myths of the Bible
      The Moses Mystery
      The Judas Brief
      King David Versus Israel
      Who Wrote the Gospels?
      Manetho: A Study in Egyptian Chronology

    • Jeff Peterson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
        Not a commentary, but on assessing the historicity of Gospel pericopes
        there's surely nothing more exhaustive (even while incomplete) as John
        Meier's series (4 volumes and counting) *A Marginal Jew*. Latest volume
        contains the mind-blowing claim that Jesus may well have taught "Love your
        neighbor as yourself."

        Jeff Peterson
        Austin Graduate School of Theology
        Austin, Texas

        On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Gary Greenberg <garygreenberg@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Would any members of thee group be kind enough to suggest for each (or
        > any) of the Gospels what they consider to be the best commentaries for the
        > purposes of source criticism and/or historicity?
        > Thanks
        > Gary Greenberg
        > NYC
        >
        > Web site: Bible Myth and History
        >
        > Author of the following books
        >
        > 101 Myths of the Bible
        > The Moses Mystery
        > The Judas Brief
        > King David Versus Israel
        > Who Wrote the Gospels?
        > Manetho: A Study in Egyptian Chronology

      • Matson, Mark (Academic)
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
          On source criticism, not any of them. REally the commentary genre is a real problem here -- tends to be stuck in an old paradigm. And I think Jeff's comment about historical Jesus issues is spot on: Marginal Jew is simply the best (and can be mined for just a tone of information about various issues in the gospels).

          But I am going to assume you are looking for the best historical-critical commentaries that have loads of good material about the setting, etc., including sources but also form-critical / redaction critical issues etc. So here goes my choices:

          1. On Mark, I would use Joel Marcus in the Anchor Bible series. (best overall is a lit-crit commentary, Sowing the Gospel)

          2. On Luke, probably the best overall remains Joe Fitzmyer's two volume in Anchor Bible, even though it's dated. A good companion would be Joel Green's volume in the NICNT. For the Farrer approach on sources, it's Goulder's work, A New Paradigm, but aside from the source issue it is not that helpful (in my opinion).

          3. On Matthew, I would use Dale Allison and W.D. Davies three volume work in the ICC series. As a more recent backup from a slightly different tack (but with loads of references to ancient materials) I would use Craig Keener's volume on Matthew.

          4. On John, a bit more difficult because of a bias in the main commentaries on the historical background. But I would say Rudolf Schnackenburg's 3 volume series. Again perhaps augmented by Keener's fine 2 volume work. For good historical perspectives, the various volumes from the SBL on John, Jesus and History -- while seminar papers and not commentary -- are invaluable for updating and giving perspective on the commentaries.

          Mark A. Matson
          Milligan College
          Would any members of thee group be kind enough to suggest for each (or any) of the Gospels what they consider to be the best commentaries for the purposes of source criticism and/or historicity?
          Thanks
          Gary Greenberg
          NYC

          Web site: Bible Myth and History

          Author of the following books

          101 Myths of the Bible
          The Moses Mystery
          The Judas Brief
          King David Versus Israel
          Who Wrote the Gospels?
          Manetho: A Study in Egyptian Chronology

          List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012
            Gary,

            Let me put in the good word for "The Five Gospels" and "The Acts of
            Jesus" from the Jesus Seminar. Not all on this list think that "the
            Marginal Jew" is the be all and end all of historical Jesus research.
            And for a fair contrast to such as Allison, Keener, etc., one needs to
            read the works of the Jesus Seminar.

            Gordon Raynal
            Inman, SC
            On Aug 17, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Matson, Mark (Academic) wrote:

            > On source criticism, not any of them. REally the commentary genre
            > is a real problem here -- tends to be stuck in an old paradigm. And
            > I think Jeff's comment about historical Jesus issues is spot on:
            > Marginal Jew is simply the best (and can be mined for just a tone of
            > information about various issues in the gospels).

          • Steven Deedon
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 18, 2012
              I suggest complementing the AB with new Hermeneia volumes: Adela Collins on
              Mark, Francois Bovon on Luke (the second volume, originally in French, not
              published in English yet). Harry Attridge,who is the General Editor of the
              series, has taken up the task to write the Hermeneia commentary on John.

              Steve

              Steven Deedon
              New Haven, CT
              stevendeedon@...
              http://stevendeedon.wordpress.com

              "Openness is all." - Thomas Merton, in "Recollections of Thomas Merton's
              Last Days in the West," Brother David Steindl-Rast.

            • Gary Greenberg
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2012
                Thanks to all those who replied.
                Gary

                Gary Greenberg
              • David Mealand
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 25, 2012
                  Interesting that Marginal Jew and the
                  Five Gospels feature as they do in the
                  recent exchanges.

                  Would someone care to list 6 or more items in
                  particular they would rate as the most significant
                  places where the two differ over whether something
                  should, or should not, be assigned to "stage 1" of
                  the tradition, or point to such a list if someone
                  has already produced one? The list might need to
                  make adjustments to allow for the cases where a
                  judgement is made that "p was not said, but
                  something very like it may well have been said"
                  or something similar.

                  David M.

                  ---------
                  David Mealand, University of Edinburgh

                  Scotland, with registration number SC005336.